none
Can't validate cluster - This Validation process was interrupted

Question

• Hi to all ,

I have a problem with Windows 2008 R2 Failover cluster with two nodes.

Somehow I can't validate the cluster . I get error message -

This validation process was interrupted

A validation test was unable to get needed access to cluster or system resources.

There is configured SQL Instance in the cluster and I can move it between the nodes but can't validate the cluster anymore.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

• Without storage test the validation completes after Evict and Join node to the cluster again.

I did registration of cluswmi.mof because I was receiving WMI errors from the other node.

I can't bring the cluster to complete the test.

Actually I was running a Validation because when I try to update one node of the SQL cluster I receive an error in the validation process.

And there is some Firewall issue in the GPO that was applied to the servers . I will keep investigating the problem.

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:21 AM

All replies

• Try selecting which tests to perform instead of trying to let all of them run.  Once a cluster is built, there are definitely resources which can not be given to the validation wizard as that would most likely cause services/roles to go offline.  Since the purpose behind clustering is to provide HA, the validation wizard will not do something that will take a resource offline.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

Which kind of validation did you run?

Below list the possible cluster validation test:

• Full: Run the complete set of tests. This requires some cluster downtime.
    • Single LUN: Run the complete set of tests, and run the storage tests on only one LUN. The LUN might be a small LUN that you set aside for testing purposes or the witness disk (if your cluster uses a witness disk). This validates the storage subsystem, but not specifically each individual LUN or disk. You can run these validation tests without causing downtime to your clustered services or applications.
    • Omit storage tests: Run the system configuration, inventory, and network tests, but not the storage tests. You can run these validation tests without causing downtime to your clustered roles.
    • None: No validation tests are needed.

You may check whether you can run “Omit storage tests”.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Validating Hardware for a Failover Cluster
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732035(v=WS.10).aspx
    Validate Hardware for a Windows Server 2012 Failover Cluster
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134244.aspx

Hope this helps!
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Without storage test the validation completes after Evict and Join node to the cluster again.

I did registration of cluswmi.mof because I was receiving WMI errors from the other node.

I can't bring the cluster to complete the test.

Actually I was running a Validation because when I try to update one node of the SQL cluster I receive an error in the validation process.

And there is some Firewall issue in the GPO that was applied to the servers . I will keep investigating the problem.

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:21 AM