none
vhdx and backup/recover

Question

• Using a 2012 Enterprise as Hypervisor.
    Certain virtual servers (2012 as well) hosted there, one of them is a file server.
    I have set up a vhdx file, dynamic, 500 GB max size (currently used approx. 300 GB) which is then added as a virtual SCSI disk to the fileserver.

Have also setup backup of the host machine with full backup (using servers native backup service).
    A small change of a single small file inside this vhdx does not make the backup much bigger so it seems like the backup is
    an incremental backup which is "vhdx sensitive" (I mean that it seems like it looks at the files in the vhdx file).
    This seems to work just fine.

However, I do not know how to recover this small modified file inside the vhdx file without recovering the whole vhdx file
    (and e.g. temporary Mount, if only this small file is to be recoverd, not the rest of the disk, as a new virtual disk to pick out this single small file for recovery).

Anyone knows if this is possible and how ?
    Any general opinions regarding my described scenario ?

Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:04 AM

All replies

• Mount your VHD(x) as a drive letter and copy your file from it. Should be PowerShell-able pretty well.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Thanks

So it means that the big vhdx has to be recovered as a whole (needing a big portion of some disk) just to recoved the small file of perhaps 1 kB.

I am not sure of "best practice" (full backup of hyper-v host machine or individual backup of Virtual macines or both), but it seems like the full backup works quite well for backup and I am sure that Microsoft could make the recover function dive into a vhdx as a special folder or similar, the data is there and the format is theire...
    (or is it something With the format that makes the files unrecoverable without the whole context of the virtual disk ?)

Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Thanks

So it means that the big vhdx has to be recovered as a whole (needing a big portion of some disk) just to recoved the small file of perhaps 1 kB.

I am not sure of "best practice" (full backup of hyper-v host machine or individual backup of Virtual macines or both), but it seems like the full backup works quite well for backup and I am sure that Microsoft could make the recover function dive into a vhdx as a special folder or similar, the data is there and the format is theire...
    (or is it something With the format that makes the files unrecoverable without the whole context of the virtual disk ?)

NO. It means you mount it and recovery your file with any recovery tool of your choice. You don't need to copy it anywhere.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Sounds perfect

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge and perhaps it sounds silly, but could you please hint me how to mount this vhdx file
    which is now inside an archive (after backup) without recover it first.
    I have no clue, is it possible to mount the archive itself or something like that ?

Or possibly hint me to some site With elementary info. regarding the matter ?

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Sounds perfect

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge and perhaps it sounds silly, but could you please hint me how to mount this vhdx file
    which is now inside an archive (after backup) without recover it first.
    I have no clue, is it possible to mount the archive itself or something like that ?

Or possibly hint me to some site With elementary info. regarding the matter ?

You need to mount your archive first. What backup app do you use?

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:09 AM
  • I use the "native" backup that comes with the server 2012 (local, not online), simple full backup.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Ok, I got it, give the backup harddisk a drive letter and mount some files there seems to be ok.

Now a new "problem" (?) came up:
    After a few backups (every night), I added another virtual machine.
    The status of the backups does not list this New VM, but it seems like it is possible to recover it anyway.

What is going on here ? Is it trustworthy or should the backup schedule be set up again/modified ?

Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:43 PM