none
Event 315 error 2114

Question

• On a Win7/64 with an Hp Laserjet P2055DN network printer, I get event 315 error 2114 (The print spooler failed to share printer Printername with shared resource name Printername . Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network) on almost every startup. The printer works fine, both from the Win7 machine and a McBook  wireless connected to my wired/wireless Linksys WRT160N Router. Printer driver is up to date, nothing stuck in print queue, all permission for sharing turned on. Again, printer prints fine, but I keep getting the event and error message in Admin on startup. In Experts Exchange, in the server 2008 section here, I read this: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Windows_Server_2008/Q_26250085.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+10+2114+30+315+error+event . If it was a bug, MS would have fixed this by now, yes?. Any ideas why I keep getting the event message? Clearly the machine tries to engage the spooler, fails, tires again and succeeds, leaving behind the event message. Thank you.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• I can't give you an answer, but I have the exact same problem. I'm running a Win7/64 machine with an Epson R1900 printer, and each time on startup I get an error 2114 and an event ID 315. Usually some other function times out as well, although not always, which I suspect is due to the above problem. Below you can see the information about the event. Someone with similar problems and/or with a fix?

(Sorry that some of it is in Swedish)

Loggnamn:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
    Källa:         Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Datum:         2011-06-08 22:30:50
    Händelse-ID:   315
    Aktivitetskategori:En skrivare delas
    Nivå:          Fel
    Nyckelord:     Klassisk utskriftshanterarhändelse,Skrivare
    Användare:     SYSTEM
    Dator:         SmartMart
    Beskrivning:
    Det gick inte att dela ut skrivaren EPSON Stylus Photo R1900 Series med resursnamnet EPSON Stylus Photo R1900 Series i utskriftshanteraren. Fel 2114. Skrivaren kan inte användas av andra i nätverket.
    Händelsens XML-data:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService" Guid="{747EF6FD-E535-4D16-B510-42C90F6873A1}" />
        <EventID>315</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>30</Task>
        <Opcode>12</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000820</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-08T20:30:50.294107100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>283</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="2180" ThreadID="1600" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>SmartMart</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <ShareFailed xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/printing/spooler/core/events">
          <Param1>2114</Param1>
          <Param2>EPSON Stylus Photo R1900 Series</Param2>
          <Param3>EPSON Stylus Photo R1900 Series</Param3>
        </ShareFailed>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:44 PM
  •          I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and a HP Photosmart C7280 printer. The printer works fine from my desktop and laptop via wireless router but I get this error in the event log every time I start-up. I thought it may have been my printer but now after reading some other forums and this thread I assume it's a Microsoft problem. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Date:          6/10/2011 4:47:13 PM
    Event ID:      315
    Task Category: Sharing a printer
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic Spooler Event,Printer
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      BobbyC-PC
    Description:
    The print spooler failed to share printer HP Photosmart C7200 series BT with shared resource name HP Photosmart C7200 series. Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService" Guid="{747EF6FD-E535-4D16-B510-42C90F6873A1}" />
        <EventID>315</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>30</Task>
        <Opcode>12</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000820</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-10T20:47:13.118441500Z" />
        <EventRecordID>12</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1612" ThreadID="1568" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>BobbyC-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <ShareFailed xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/printing/spooler/core/events">
          <Param1>2114</Param1>
          <Param2>HP Photosmart C7200 series BT</Param2>
          <Param3>HP Photosmart C7200 series</Param3>
        </ShareFailed>
      </UserData>
    </Event>
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Me too.

The print spooler failed to share printer HP Deskjet F4100 series with shared resource name HP Deskjet F4100 series. Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.

It's been a problem since installing Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:32 PM
  • I'm not speaking in a wholly informed state here, but I'm sure my 315 error is a temporary network problem. Error disappeared for quite a while then reappeared after Comcast (subject for another day) lost service in my area twos day running. If fact my printer )HPP2055DN connected by ethernet) can be used by any machine on the network that has the driver on it, so I couldn't figure out why I was getting the error. The error usually disappeared after I printed something and restarted the computer. There is some disconnect in WIN7 spooling and WIN7 sharing. A lot of people on this site have be touting the stability of WIN7(pro), but not a week goes by when my event log doesn't issue some waring or another. The programs still has a lot of bugs -- witness all the patches every Tuesday and Thursday. Witness the strange behavior so many get after installing SP1, which, by the way, might solve your problems. (Before you install make sure read carefully Susan Bradley's blog about SP1 problems, fixes and preparation in "Windows Secrets.") Every day I get Errors Event 59 and 35, side by side errors. The KB articles are these clearly state they are bugs and say to live with them. Question is: are you able to share the printer and print across the network. If you are and you still get 315 consistently, see if your network printer allows you to assign it a permanent IP address. This often solves a number of printer problems. By the way, all this rises to another level of frustration when you have a mixed platform network like mine: 1 Win7PRO/64, 1 XPPROSP3, 1 MacAir. The only component the MacAir will show in finder sharing (without mounting) is my NAS, which is configured for both Mac and Win.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Judging by the dates of our posts, this seems to be a very recent problem so my guess is that it has something to do with either: latest service packs, Windows Updates, Driver Updates.

I only started having the issue post Service Pack 1 (Win 7 64) but not untill recently when I updated HP printer (C3180) drivers & software.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:53 PM
  • HP drivers and software are, to be polite, always works in progress. So it's no surprise that they have not kept up with WIN7 signage. When my problem first occurred, I called their tech support and they proposed using a kind of universal driver (a driver for another model of printer). More jury-rigging from HP. And, of course, where are many, many issues with SP1 on 7/64.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 12:31 PM
  • The Server service is not starting in a timely fashion. Check and make sure there are no dependent services that have been changed from default settings.

The spooler just uses the Server Service for sharing the printers.

You will get the message if the server service has not fully initialized when the spooler initializes and wants to share the printers.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:25 AM
  • I also documented here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/08/15/event-315-with-error-2114-on-startup.aspx

Looking for hot issues and resolutions? We reduce your efforts. http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:48 AM
  • This error has been bugging me for some months. This afternoon I was trying to resolve an Event ID: 2 error and found a blog offering a solution to that problem:
    http://manlyelectronics.com.au/blog/resolve-windows-error-session-homegroup-log-failed-to-start-with-the-following-error-0xc0000035-in-event-viewer-microsoft-windows/

If you ignore the caution and click on "Leave the Homegroup" and restart the computer your Home Network still works. You also get no more Event ID: 2 errors and the bonus for me was a cessation of Event ID: 315 errors. I have restarted the computer several times and the errors have definitely stopped.

Hope this helps, Gerry
    Monday, January 02, 2012 4:14 PM
  • The Server service is not starting in a timely fashion. Check and make sure there are no dependent services that have been changed from default settings.

The spooler just uses the Server Service for sharing the printers.

You will get the message if the server service has not fully initialized when the spooler initializes and wants to share the printers.

Yes, but how do you "check and make sure there are no dependent services that have been chaged from the default settings." What are those dependent services? Some instructions, please.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Danma wrote:"The Server service is not starting in a timely fashion. Check and make sure there are no dependent services that have been changed from default settings...The spooler just uses the Server Service for sharing the printers."

Yes, but how do you "check and make sure there are no dependent services that have been chaged from the default settings." What are those dependent services? Some instructions, please.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Well...I've tried every fix that's been suggested on every forum and nothing works. The only thing I haven't done is delete the current driver and reinstall a fresh version of same. And the only reason to do this is if one suspects some corruption in a driver file and I do not. All the experts point out that the Server service is not starting on time, which is to say before the Print Spooler service, and thus you get the event warning. Those same experts say that if you can print normally -- and I can across three different platforms that share this printer -- Win7/64; XP; Mac Lion -- ignore the warning. There's some wisdom to this. Witness the repeated SidebySide errors 59 and 35 and the MS articles that say to ignore those.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:58 PM
  • Found this

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/Q_27593425.html

Essentially:

1. stop the lanmanserver (name for the "Server" service)

2. check to make sure print spooler service is started

3. Restart lanman server

Admin command prompt:

then

"net stop lanmanserver"

"net start lanmanserver"

So far, three days, no 315 error.

• Edited by MLNorman Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Sorry to report the fix lasted only three days. The 315 event/2114 error is back in the logs, system still printing fine, but event and error have returned on every startup. This has got to be a bug in either Win7/64 Pro and above or in the SP1, which is when it started appearing.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:02 PM
  • New wrinkle that may lead the cognoscenti here to some answers. I notice that I only get the Event 315/Error 2114 on startup when I DO NOT PRINT anything the day before; i.e.e when I shut down for the day without having had put anything in the print queue. Again, I can print across the network, I just keep getting the error in the event log when I go a day without printing, shut down, then startup the next day.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Getting the same error here on Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, just started happening out of the blue as the server is a couple years old.  Anybody have any positive fix for this?  Is Microsoft watching or helping?
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:25 PM