none
Problem moving content on 2nd and subsequent WSUS server in NLB'd environment

Question

• Dear all,

I'm following this article step by step to configure WSUS in NLB'd environment.:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633165.aspx

I'm stuck on step 7. It asks to move WSUS content from local path to shared location. I've :

Server1
    Server2
    Server3

Server1 has a share created SUPShare which will be used as shared resource for WSUS content (step 3 from above article).

All 3 servers are member of local "Administrators" group and "WSUS Administrators" group on all 3 servers.

When in Step 7; moving content for Server1 to shared location went fine; for Server2 and Server3 after I modified "Content" folder's path to\\Server1\SupShare   (Step 5. Configure Internet Information Services (IIS) to enable content share access)  when executingwsusutil movecontent \\Server1\SupShare Server2.log /skipcopyI'm having following error on both Server 2 and Server 3.

C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools>wsusutil.exe movecontent \\Server1\SupShare ServerX.log /skipcopy
    Content location is being moved. Please do not stop this program.
    Content move failed. Please refer to the log file for more details.
    Fatal Error: The new content file location is the same as the old location: \\Server1\SupShare
    Parameter name: fileLocationNew

Same error occurs on both Server2 and Server3.The log generated says "The new content file location is the same as the old location: \\Server2\SupShare". I ran to move WUS content for first time and did not modify any thing else except following article step by step.  Please help. Thanks.

Regards,
    Shahzad.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:59 AM

Answers

• Would I be able to create a DFS share with avilable space on those?

Yes, but if a front-end server is installed on the same machine as the DFS share, then the Network Service account must have CHANGE permissions on the root of the DFS share. (See the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure WSUS for Network Load Balancing.)

Note also that the WSUS Deployment Guide has the same errata concerning a simple network share. Not sure which came first -- the cart or the horse, as the Deployment Guide was just revised last July -- but WSUS has never supported the use of a simple network share for content storage, and prior to this July 2011 revision, a simple network share was never mentioned in any WSUS documentation.

Also, I would recommend installing the content store on a dedicated resource (volume, spindle, array -- as is available on that machine).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Marked as answer by Shahzad_Rasool Friday, February 24, 2012 1:09 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, Shahzad.

I think this topic more suitable for Configuration Manager Software Updates Management  forum.

>>I'm following this article step by step to configure WSUS in NLB'd environment.:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633165.aspx   <<

It's Configure SUP to Use an NLB Cluster article, and in this article says:

>>If the share is created on one of the site systems that will be part of the network load balancing cluster, the site system computer's Network Access account must have change permissions on the root of the shared folder.<<

Did you check this ?

>>Important

This step must be followed for each of the front-end WSUS servers that are not on the same machine as the WSUS resource content share created in step 3 of the To prepare the network environment for network load balanced software update point site systems procedure in this topic.<<

I’m not strong in configuring SUP for NLB ,I never do this,  but what I see:

As I understand you create content share on Server1, why you “moving content for Server1 to shared location”?

Try to do following:

• Create shared file location not on you servers 1,2,3
    • Move the local content directory at Server1  to the file share
    • On servers 2 and 3 mannyaly update registry keys: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup|ContentDir for WSUS content resource location share name

Configure WSUS for Network Load Balancingarticle says following:

>>You must move the content directories from the first front-end WSUS server to the file share. You do not have to repeat this step for additional front-end WSUS servers<<

>>You must manually update the registry on all machines other than the machine that movecontent is run on. The current storage location can be found or verified in the registry. It is stored in the ContentDir value in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup key.<<

In this article I can’t find information about running

wsusutil movecontent<WSUSContentsharename><logfilename>/skipcopy

command (I think it provide same actions as manually updating reg keys )

So, also you can ask this question on Configuration Manager Software Updates Management  forum, as I said above.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Dear Siniy,

Thanks for your reply. I find it a bit helpful.
    I've posted this message in ConfigMgr 2007's relevent forum for software updates management as well.

Please note following:

Server1,Server2,Server3 are in a group "SUPServers". "SupServers" group is member of following server local groups on all three servers:

- Administrators
    - WSUS Administrators

Above elemenates need to create network access account for Server2,Server3. Moreover...the content share I created on Server1 has "Full Control" permission given to "Network Service" account.

Are you suggesting:

1. Move content on Server1.
    2. Manually change registry location on Server2 and Server3 ?

Please reply. Thanks.

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:40 PM
  • It seems the key issue here is one that applies both to standalone WSUS NLB clusters, as well as ConfigMgr Software Update Point clusters... but is flawed in this writing in the ConfigMgr documentation, so I would suggest using the WSUS documentation instead.

I don't see the mention of a DFS Share anywhere in the original post, and creating a DFS Share is a critical component of the process. Refer to Step #3 in the procedure in the referenced ConfigMgr documentation. Unfortunately, this documentation suggests that a standard network share can be used. That is an inaccurate statement. WSUS is not supported with use of network shares; it MUST be a DFS Share.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:27 AM
  • HI Lawrence,

Thanks for your input. This issue has given me headaches. I ran into horrible issues of permissions.

But I appreciate your comment regarding type of share. I was using a simple network share, and yes the article I referred originally is for configuring NLB'd SUP.

Since I've been given 3 servers which are member servers of a domain. Would I be able to create a DFS share with avilable space on those? I'm afraid I won't be given any other storage.

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Would I be able to create a DFS share with avilable space on those?

Yes, but if a front-end server is installed on the same machine as the DFS share, then the Network Service account must have CHANGE permissions on the root of the DFS share. (See the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure WSUS for Network Load Balancing.)

Note also that the WSUS Deployment Guide has the same errata concerning a simple network share. Not sure which came first -- the cart or the horse, as the Deployment Guide was just revised last July -- but WSUS has never supported the use of a simple network share for content storage, and prior to this July 2011 revision, a simple network share was never mentioned in any WSUS documentation.

Also, I would recommend installing the content store on a dedicated resource (volume, spindle, array -- as is available on that machine).

• Marked as answer by Shahzad_Rasool Friday, February 24, 2012 1:09 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your valuable input. I've passed it onto my technical architect. I'll take precaution in case decision is accepted by customer and passed on back to my technical architect.

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Are you suggesting:

Please reply. Thanks.

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Did you ever get an answer Shahzad? I'm stuck in the same situation as well, with 2 servers (moved content on one server but getting error trying to move on 2nd, so wondering if I should just update the registry on 2nd and that's all that's needed?).
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Are you suggesting:

Please reply. Thanks.

Regards,
    Shahzad.
    Did you ever get an answer Shahzad? I'm stuck in the same situation as well, with 2 servers (moved content on one server but getting error trying to move on 2nd, so wondering if I should just update the registry on 2nd and that's all that's needed?).

If you're using a simple share, then the guidance offered by Siniy applies .. the Network Service account needs to have WRITE access on the share. (The perms should be there by default in the NTFS ACLs).

However, the optimal design for this scenario is that the share is created as a Distributed File System share, and ALL nodes of the cluster are configured as replicas of that DFS share.

Product Manager, SolarWinds

Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:50 AM