none
Unable to extend disk in Windows Server 2008

Question

• I have a virtual file server that is sitting on HyperV. The file server ran out of space and the host machine had disk space available. I shutdown the file server and edited the virtual disk to extend it another 50GB. When boot the file server and login, I see the unallocated space listed in Disk Management, but it does not let me extend it. When I go to the extend wizard, the wizard does not show the space that's available. The left column is completely blank and on the right column it shows it's current size.

It's as if the wizard itself is not able to see the unallocated space for some reason.

Any ideas?

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

• I do not see any issue...

You should be able to extend the volume without any problem

As the last screen shot itself says, maximum available space in MB: 57344.

right click on E drive, extended partition, follow the wizard by clicking next.

~ Knowledge Seeker

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hello,

but K Seeker is right.

1. (first) row is total disk size
    2. how much can you max extend
    3. how much do you want to extend.

The section above just lists the disks where extending is possible.

Greets
    Stephan

Just tested it on my W7 machine. Although it's in german it shows the same. I can extend it for 150 GB.

After next you get a summary what you want to do and after "finish" it accomplishes that task.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• try to use diskpart. read this guide http://www.geeksdo.com/extend-partition-diskpart.html .

Marc

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:24 PM
  • try to use diskpart. read this guide http://www.geeksdo.com/extend-partition-diskpart.html .

Marc

We are reluctant to try that here because we think there must be a reason why the Extend Wizard is not making the unallocated space available. If we "force" it to extend using diskpart, are there any risks associated with that?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Have you added a separate disk with 50 GB or have you extended your existing disk which contains OS with 50 GB ?

Can you please insert the disk management snapshot in the next reply ?

~ Knowledge Seeker

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Have you added a separate disk with 50 GB or have you extended your existing disk which contains OS with 50 GB ?

Can you please insert the disk management snapshot in the next reply ?

~ Knowledge Seeker

It's an existing secondary disk (data). So the OS does not reside on it. I merely expanded the server's VHD file to accomodate extra space. When I login to the server in question, disk management shows the unallocated space for E:. However the Extend Wizard does not show the unallocated space available. The left column is completely blank and it does not let you add additional space.

Below is a screen shot of disk management. Below that is a screen shot of the Extend Wizard.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:03 PM

~ Knowledge Seeker

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:18 PM

~ Knowledge Seeker

The left column does not show any additional space to add to the right side. The right side is currently displaying the current size of the disk. If I click next, no changes occur as I am not able to add any additional space.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

but K Seeker is right.

Greets
    Stephan

Just tested it on my W7 machine. Although it's in german it shows the same. I can extend it for 150 GB.

After next you get a summary what you want to do and after "finish" it accomplishes that task.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Hello,

but K Seeker is right.

Greets
    Stephan

Can this change be done during business hours with everyone connected?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Can this change be done during business hours with everyone connected? 

Yes, it can be done during production hours. I have performed such tasks number of times and there were no issues.

If you are still reluctant, I would suggest you to do it on weekends.

Knowledge Seeker

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:32 AM