none
Terminal Server Group Policy Folder Redirection Fail

Question

• I have seen many posts for folder redirection fails...but I cannot find any information about this particular problem:

I have a group policy that redirects the Desktop, Favorites, and Documents folders.

Recently we set up a new terminal server, and for one particular user, when they logged in Group Policy redirects for Desktop and Favorites, but not for Documents.  (Previous server was redirecting her documents).

I've tried on other terminal servers that also will not redirect documents folder for her, whereas other users on both terminal servers are redirecting fine.  I have tried deleting the local profiles and network directories and having the login process recreate the documents.  Still, the documents folder does not redirect.

I have tried issuing gpupdate /force followed by a logoff and log back in, no change.

The event log shows group policy updates correctly on previous step, though the documents folder still does not redirect.  The user is still able to access the folder through the network share, but the my documents folder redirects to the terminal servers user directory which we do not want it to do.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:20 PM

Answers

• HI,

As i understand, you have recreated the user's profile folder and then log on to the TS again, but Documents still doesn't redirect.

from your first post, "(Previous server was redirecting her documents)", it seems this issue only happnes when user log on to the new TS. Regarding current situation, please perform following action for a test.

place the affected user to a new ou -> create new GPO to redirect the  her documents to new network path.

Then check if her Documents redirect to the new network path.

Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Brandan HFS Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:11 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check this user’s permissions in her Documents folders.

Users have change permission but not full control folder redirection will not work at all (access denied) trying to create the users "Documents" folder.

Try to allow this particular user "full control" for share permissions to see if the same issue still exists.

Regards,
    Dollar Wang
    Forum Support
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Technology changes life……

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Please read more closely before responding.  These forums are a good resource, but quick thoughtless answers like that reduce their effectiveness.

As I stated above, I deleted directories to allow the user login to recreate the directories and the favorites and desktop folders are created and redirected just fine.  The documents directory however is not.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the previous reply, I just think this is a possibility.

I have tried to reproduce the issue like you described, but my test lab environment cannot reproduce this special circumstances. I still continue to try to find the cause of the issue.

According to your description, “I have tried deleting the local profiles and network directories and having the login process recreate the documents. Still, the documents folder does not redirect.”
    This issue may occur if the user profile was corrupted or deleted manually or by other means. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the Security Identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

If the SID is present, Windows will try to load the profile by using the ProfileImagePath that points to a previous path. Then the issue is back.

You can refer to the following KB article to regenerate a new SID for this particular user, then try again to see if the same issue still exists.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Looking forward to your feedback.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:58 PM
  • I deleted the profile using the User profile section, I did not just delete the directory.  The network location that I redirect to I renamed the directory, and the profile recreates the user's folder, desktop, and favorites folder.  Just no documents folder is created.

I've also attempted this on other terminal servers and the problem is the same on servers that have never had the user logged into before.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:09 AM
  • HI,

As i understand, you have recreated the user's profile folder and then log on to the TS again, but Documents still doesn't redirect.

from your first post, "(Previous server was redirecting her documents)", it seems this issue only happnes when user log on to the new TS. Regarding current situation, please perform following action for a test.

place the affected user to a new ou -> create new GPO to redirect the  her documents to new network path.

Then check if her Documents redirect to the new network path.

Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Brandan HFS Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:11 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Not sure why, but this did resolve the issue.  I have been planning on rebuilding our OU structure and Group Policy objects to simplify anyway...so that just clinches it.  Group Policy objects were created back with Server 2000 (maybe 2003)...I don't recall for sure...and 2000/XP clients.  We're now moving on to Server 2008 Terminal users and Windows 7 desktops.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:07 AM