none
Computers not checking into WSUS

Question

• I recently moved my WSUS server from one box to another. I followed the migration steps and was able to migrate everything with no problem. Since the migration I updated my GPO with the new location of the new WSUS server \\newservername, but I and having an issue where it has been days and not all computers/servers are showing up in the WSUS Admin console. This is WSUS version 3.

I think most of my workstations are now in the console and updates are getting pushed out to them. But I am sure there are still some workstations missing, and only about a quater of my servers have shown up. I have ran gpupdate on the servers and when I look at the Reg key it shows the correct WSUS server but yet it is not showing up in the Admin console.

Also I have client side targeting enable but when new computers show up in the Admin console they show up under unassigned computers and have to manually move them to the correct group. When client side targeting is enable shouldn't the computer show up in the Admin console under the group you specify for that computer in the GPO and not have to move them manually?

Any suggestions or help with why these servers and computers are not showing up in WSUS would be great!

Thanks for any help!
    Bill
    Friday, May 15, 2009 6:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the help issue resolved I am embarrsed to say that on the servers that weren't showing up the Automatic Update service wasn't running super Duh I know. But the client diag tool pointed it right out. Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:48 PM

All replies

• Make sure you have this option selected on the new server

http://i40.tinypic.com/33ng5n6.jpg
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Since the migration I updated my GPO with the new location of the new WSUS server \\newservername

If that's the exact value you placed in the policy -- then the flaw is a malformed URL.

The value in the policy must be a =URL= in the form http://newservername.

Beyond that "best guess", the best approach for us to effectively diagnose your issue is to base ideas upon actual information -- not assumptions, which is all we have at the moment. Please post the actual output from the Client Diagnostic Tool, as well as the log entries from the most recent detection event on one of these non-reporting clients.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Thanks I did not have that checked before I posted this question, but on Friday I did check this but still many of the servers are not showing up as of today.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I do have it as http://servername in the GPO just mis-typed that in the post.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Okay.. so that leaves us with looking at actual information. Without the actual data, there's nothing more we can do at the moment to help you.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for your help on this when you say the Client Diagnostic tool, what tool could I use to diagnose this issue? Also I am seeing no messages in any of the event logs on the servers not reporting. The gpo is pushing down the WSUS information to the servers because when I look at hkey_LM\software\Policies\microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate the correct WSUS server and settings are there.

What other tools or logging could I turn on to try and diag this problem?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:45 PM
  • The link below is for the client diagnostic tool. It is actually called that.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466192.aspx

PS - this should be a question not a discussion thread...
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Thanks for the help issue resolved I am embarrsed to say that on the servers that weren't showing up the Automatic Update service wasn't running super Duh I know. But the client diag tool pointed it right out. Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:48 PM