none
A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.__Unknown error (0x800423f4)

Question

• A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    Unknown error (0x800423f4) while trying to do a backup on Small Business Server 2008 using MS own backup utility
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,
      Based upon the error code VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE(0x800423F4) the failure is because of any particular VSS writer is not in a good
      state causing the snapshot process to fail and hence the backup fails. 

This can be verified using the following command from an elevated command window.

vssadmin list writers

Also the following blog will be useful in finding which VSS writer is causing the snapshot to fail. Once the writer is identified the forum corresponding
      to that application should be able to support better.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Proposed as answer by sunny_07 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Friday, February 26, 2010 9:49 AM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,
      Based upon the error code VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE(0x800423F4) the failure is because of any particular VSS writer is not in a good
      state causing the snapshot process to fail and hence the backup fails. 

This can be verified using the following command from an elevated command window.

vssadmin list writers

Also the following blog will be useful in finding which VSS writer is causing the snapshot to fail. Once the writer is identified the forum corresponding
      to that application should be able to support better.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Proposed as answer by sunny_07 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Friday, February 26, 2010 9:49 AM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

i'm getting the same error code, but when running VSS Admin all are 'stable' 'no error'...any thouyght beyond this?

Thanks Nick

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:24 AM
  • I just started getting this failure. Is there a solution ?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:27 AM
  • i am getting the same error message - no solution yet. Unfortunately Microsoft keeps flagging all posts as answered ( yeah, i know, answering is just replying not actually helping to solve the problem) even when there is no solution.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hello, I ALSO just started getting this error! Perhaps MS changed something on a recent update to cause this...and it is always much easier to blame others than to acknowledge causing a problem...not sure if they caused it, or something on our end changed, but my backups were working just fine a week ago, I updated my server, and now...this same error. I made sure my shadow backup copies were enabled, but still no fix on this issue. Anyone have ANY LUCK on this issue YET? Thanks! -Brian
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:33 PM