none
Change install location on Server 2008 R2

Question

• Hey guys, first post with a new profile.

I've got a strange problem with a couple of servers that I've configured from scratch, I can't see why this has happened, and after ages searching the web, I can't find a solution. The server in question is a Server Enterprise 2008 R2, with IIS, DFSR, FSRM and related features installed. Here's the issue:

I've got 2 volumes, C for the OS, Boot, Pagefile, Crash dump and all things OS and D which is for storing web site data.

The problem is that when I try and install a new application on the server, the default location for any files that need to be stored / created is the root of the D drive. I've got FSRM configured not to allow executables on D, so any and every install fails. This also applies to windows updates.

How has this happened and how can it be rectified?

I've searched the registry and can't find any reference to D:\ other than unrelated things such as web root locations etc.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:10 AM

Answers

• Hummmm... That is quite strange and can't say I've actually noticed that before... But have a read of the MVP post at the bottom of this link. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/why-do-some-patch-files-extract-to-the-local-drive/24d91535-628b-4ff5-a224-0f111e07b37a?msgId=f0fc5325-f6dc-42b6-aa7e-882e9909838d Seems it may even be a feature of the install where where the ROOTDRIVE property is not specified. Read here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371372%28VS.85%29.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. If you find an answer helpful then please "Vote As Helpful"

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:13 PM

All replies

• Check Environment Variables, may be location is changed there ?

Thanks ! Jayawardhane

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:18 AM
  • thanks for the reply, I should've said I've checked those and they're all fine! (pointing to C where we'd expect them)
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Navigate to following reg key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Check highlighted settings and see if they have been changed

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Santosh - I have already checked that and everything is set as normal.

Dave

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Strange !

Since when this issue started ? Perhaps, last known good config might be of some help.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Well, always actually - they are new server builds. I only 'noticed' the issue after using WSRM to block exe's on the D drive.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:37 PM
  • After doing some more digging around, using procmon, I've been able to identify the cause of this issue. Annoying really, because I can see the cause but can't see a solution!

In an error log created when attempting to install dotnetfx4, it actually logs that it (the installer I assume) is 'assessing C drive' then 'assessing D drive' then chooses D drive as the location because there is more free space on it! It appears that Windows Update installer does the smae thing (although I couldn't find any evidence in the logs).

Strange. I find it a bit annoying that some piece of software can 'decide' where it wants to extract things. I want to tell it where to extract things!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Hummmm... That is quite strange and can't say I've actually noticed that before... But have a read of the MVP post at the bottom of this link. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/why-do-some-patch-files-extract-to-the-local-drive/24d91535-628b-4ff5-a224-0f111e07b37a?msgId=f0fc5325-f6dc-42b6-aa7e-882e9909838d Seems it may even be a feature of the install where where the ROOTDRIVE property is not specified. Read here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371372%28VS.85%29.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. If you find an answer helpful then please "Vote As Helpful"

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:13 PM