none
Mapping local printers in RDP on a 2003 Terminal server from Win 7

Question

• Currently, I connect, via remote desktop, to a Windows 2003 terminal server. When connecting to that server from an XP workstation all my printers map just fine. However, if I connect from a Win 7 PC, none of my local printers come through. Does this have something to do with the drivers installed on the server and/or the workstation? This is a critical question, as I will be migrating totally to Win 7 in the very near future. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You must install a matching printer driver on the Terminal server and local client computer(i.e. Windows 7) for same printer. Please find the correct printer driver on manufacturer's Web site.

Do you have a domain controller? If the same issue still exists, you may enable the Group Policy for printer redirection.

GPO Path:

Windows server 2003:

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Terminal Services \ Client/Server data redirection \ Terminal Server Fallback Printer Driver Behavior

Windows Server 2008:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection\ Specify terminal server fallback printer driver behavior

Once enabled, there is a drop down selection for the behavior:

1. Do nothing if one is not found.

2. Default to PCL if one is not found.

3. Default to PS if one is not found.

4. Show both PCL and PS if one is not found.

>>Selected the 2nd option "Default to PCL if one is not found", apply this group policy for Terminal server.

Then try again to see whether the same issue still exists.

Technology changes life……
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Yes, as Dollar mentioned, you need to the corresponding printer drivers installed on terminal server. When a client logs on, the Windows 2003-based server checks the name of the printer driver on the client and looks for the same printer driver name in the Windows 2000 Ntprint.inf file. If the name of the driver is not found, the error messages are logged and the printer is not redirected. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server Logs Events 1111, 1105, and 1106

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;239088

In addition, printer port names that do not begin with  COM, LPT, or USB are not redirected in Windows Server 2003 by default. Multifunction print devices may not be redirected unless you are running  Windows Server 2003 on your local computer because they use DOT4           ports. You can take a look at the following URL for more information of this issue:

302361 Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302361

Laura Zhang - MSFT
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Hi Laura and Dollar:

I genuinely appreciate your comments and I can see that  this could cause me some issues. Unfortunately, I'm in the awkward position of not being in control of the remote server; it is located elsewhere and is under their control (I have no adminstrative access to it although I am the IT administrator for my own firm) and we own the server (I can't expalin why; too confusing).

I've heard of something called Micorsoft Easy Print and have been informed this may help resolve the issue; can you offer me any info on this?

Thanks again for your inputs.

Dan David
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:06 PM