none
Server 2012R2 Datacentre not performing an in place installation

Question

• I'd be surprised if anyone else has come across this issue... we have a few Hyper-V servers in our test environment; two of them are HP ProLiant DL380 G5 servers that were running Server 2008R2 Enterprise. As it is only a test environment, I want to upgrade them both (in-place upgrade) with Server 2012. I managed to upgrade one server but the other simply won't upgrade.

Windows Setup starts > Install now > Setup is copying temporary files > Setup is starting > NOTHING- back to the Install now screen.

The hard drive partition is over 100GB in size and the installation media worked before (I actually burned a new DVD- same result).

I don't want to do a clean install because HP doesn't really support Server 2012 for the DL380 G5 server.

In the end I thought I could upgrade via Server 2012 so I successfully installed 2012 but then had the same issue again when trying to install 2012 R2.

Anyone?

Marco S

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:40 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your answer but the physical memory wasn't the issue... in the end I deleted the logical volume and "disabled" the RAID by creating a RAID 0.

That allowed me to install Server 2012R2 without needing RAID controllers. As this is a test environment in which disk space is more important than fault tolerance, this is actually the perfect solution.

Marco S

• Marked as answer by Mark-199 Monday, November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• What type of media?  Retail, volume?  How much memory on the system?  How much free space on the system disk?

I ran into an issue (Microsoft is aware of it) trying to upgrade with volume media.  During the upgrade process, the amount of physical memory plus about 16 GB are added together and compared to the amount of free space on the system drive.  If you don't have enough free space, your upgrade fails.  I haven't tried yet with retail media, but I would expect a similar problem.  The way around it, according to Microsoft, is to give your server less memory with the bcdedit removememory switch or increase the amount of free space on the system volume.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, November 15, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Thanks for your answer but the physical memory wasn't the issue... in the end I deleted the logical volume and "disabled" the RAID by creating a RAID 0.

That allowed me to install Server 2012R2 without needing RAID controllers. As this is a test environment in which disk space is more important than fault tolerance, this is actually the perfect solution.

Marco S

• Marked as answer by Mark-199 Monday, November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:48 AM