none
2008 R2 sp1 x64 server with hyper-v services will not shut down or restart, hangs on services

Question

• For some reason, recently.. we can no longer reboot or shutdown without forcing the machine off.  It will state, shutting down hyper-v services but after 30 minutes the server is still "hung" on this screen.

I'm not sure where to look to fix this.

If you shut down the services manually then reboot, things work as expected, but this causes the guest OS's to essentially crash, rather than shut down gracefully.

Anyone else ran into this and found a fix?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• Could you please give us little more information about your hyper-v environment?

I had kinda same issue however I had another server role plus dpm installed on physical machine. After I install standalone hyper-v , problems were resolved.

What I can recommend you is migrate or clone your vm to another host via scvmm or export via hyper-v console., see if you problem still persist.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

I have some questions:

1. Can you shutdown your VMs?
    2. If you can shutdown the VMs and the shutdown the host what is happening?
    3. Are the Hyper-V Integration componets installed in the VMs?
    4. If some OS crashes which OS is it?

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl MCT, MCITP, MCSA, CCA, Husband and Papa, www.hyper-v-server.de First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpfull please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:42 PM