none
Sites are running slow

Question

• We're running a Windows 2008 r2 server. We have around 220 websites or so. It has an intel xeon e5520 2.27GHz processor and 8 G of RAM. Most of our sites are DNN sites that access a SQL server on another machine with the exact same specs. We are having an issue with our sites loading slowly. I have a custom program that runs on another machine to load all of our sites every 15 minutes to keep them cached. I see that the cpu usage hovers around 30% or so on both machines. My question is, can anyone think of why these sites are loading so slowly? I keep them cached, and the servers do not seem to be overloaded. Anyone have any ideas?

I should also mention that these servers sit on a much larger virtual server that also sits on a SAN. 

- Michael
    Monday, February 06, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server forum.

For the sites loading slowly, it could be any of the following:

1. SQL Server

2. Web Server

3. Custom program for loading all sites

Have you monitored performance counters to identify the bottleneck? In particular check out the access to SQL server.

Windows Performance Counters

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774901(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I read through the article, but I'm not really sure how I actually see/monitor these counters to pinpoint my problem. Any ideas?

- Michael

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:08 PM