none
DHCP - FQDN

Question

• Hi guys,

I have a Windows Server 2008 domain with 2 W2K8 domain controllers. I have a few PCoIP Zero Clients to connect to vmware and I have some problems with FQDN for each Zero Clients.

The Zero Client receive a IP, netmask, gateway, dns from DHCP but no FQDN. I verified the configuration of my dns and dhcp but I don't find any solution to my problem.

I found in some website that I have to configure option 81 in DHCP. The option Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below is checked with :

Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records

Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted

Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates...

Could you please help me?

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Adrian,

Thanks for posting here.

If I understand you properly we are attempting to access these PCoIP Zero Clients via FQDN. If I misunderstand please let me know.

>The Zero Client receive a IP, netmask, gateway, dns from DHCP but no FQDN. I verified the configuration of my dns and dhcp but I don't find any solution to my problem.

May I know if we have set records for the IP addresses of these clients on our DNS server under certain zone ?

For example if we want to access a client via FQDN (HOTS1.contoso.local for instant) then we need first to create domain zone “contoso.local” on our DNS server and create A record “HOST1” under it with pointing the IP address of this host , so other clients that use this DNS server for name resolution will get response about the IP address of this FQDN when they attempt to access it .

Chapter 8 - Domain Name System Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727007.aspx

DHCP service will notify the client to use which DNS server in this process so DHCP setting might not the root cause .

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, May 14, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Adrian,

Thanks for posting here.

If I understand you properly we are attempting to access these PCoIP Zero Clients via FQDN. If I misunderstand please let me know.

>The Zero Client receive a IP, netmask, gateway, dns from DHCP but no FQDN. I verified the configuration of my dns and dhcp but I don't find any solution to my problem.

May I know if we have set records for the IP addresses of these clients on our DNS server under certain zone ?

For example if we want to access a client via FQDN (HOTS1.contoso.local for instant) then we need first to create domain zone “contoso.local” on our DNS server and create A record “HOST1” under it with pointing the IP address of this host , so other clients that use this DNS server for name resolution will get response about the IP address of this FQDN when they attempt to access it .

Chapter 8 - Domain Name System Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727007.aspx

DHCP service will notify the client to use which DNS server in this process so DHCP setting might not the root cause .

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, May 14, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Maybe you will get this maybe not. Do I need to add the Client FQDN Option 81 in DHCP. Or by setting the DNS option this is done. Since I do not see an option 81 it looks like I would create it in DHCP. I have Server 2008 Enterprise and all clients are Windows 7 SP1. They all use the same FQDN. Trying to read through all this Microsoft crud I can not get an answer to do I add the option 81 or is it already done when the DNS is truned on.

Thank you,

Spammer Hammer

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:26 PM