none
Unable to take snapshot

Question

• Hello,

I am unable to take snapshots of my VM's using SCVMM, or HV Manager.  This is the error i see in the eventvwr:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
    Date:          4/13/2012 3:20:11 PM
    Event ID:      16370
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      HV

Description:
    'VMNAME' cannot create the storage required for the snapshot G:\VirtualMachines\VMNAME\VMNAME_disk_1_F45809F2-497B-416A-BF58-B2CF356E6328.avhd: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). (Virtual machine ID 87BA817E-6042-473D-B603-7BCBB1BB17F1)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{6066F867-7CA1-4418-85FD-36E3F9C0600C}" />
        <EventID>16370</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-13T19:20:11.781668300Z" />
        <EventRecordID>250</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="2856" ThreadID="4140" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>...</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <VmlEventLog xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">
          <VmName>CRMLAB01</VmName>
          <VmId>87BA817E-6042-473D-B603-7BCBB1BB17F1</VmId>
          <String>G:\VirtualMachines\VMNAME\VMNAME_disk_1_F45809F2-497B-416A-BF58-B2CF356E6328.avhd</String>
          <ErrorCodeString>%%2147942402</ErrorCodeString>
          <ErrorCode>0x80070002</ErrorCode>
        </VmlEventLog>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

It is also preceeded by this warning:

Cannot find the specified snapshot. (Snapshot ID 748CC02A-2900-4AC3-BE7A-B221F0851E49)

Any idea on how i can get my snapshots working again?  I saw another thread regarding GPO's and NETWORK SERVICE permissions, but it wasnt specific on what to change.

TIA,

Ian

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:25 PM

All replies

• BTW, there is plenty of storage space...
    Friday, April 13, 2012 7:25 PM
  • VMM is updated? what kind of user use to create snapshot?

S

S.Net
    Inside Technologies

MVP System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Hi Ian,

please check in the VM configuration the Snapshot Path. It is possible that the Snapshots are on a different path than the VHDs. Then check the space on this drive.

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl | MVP Virtual Machine | MCT | MCITP | MCSA | CCA | Husband and Papa | www.hyper-v-server.de | First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpful please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:34 PM
  • It's possible that the VM does not have the latest VM additions installed.  i'll have to check this.  Would this prevent a snapshot from being created? 

At the same time though, as a test, i created a brand new VM, didnt yet install an OS or anything, and tried to snapshot it, and that fails as well.

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:55 PM
  • When i look at the properties, for the virtual hard drive, it actually lists a .avhd file there even though the snapshot never finishes, or creates this file.  Therefore, i can no longer boot the VM because the chain is broken.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Ian,

where is the path of the ".avhd" file?

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl | MVP Virtual Machine | MCT | MCITP | MCSA | CCA | Husband and Papa | www.hyper-v-server.de | First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpful please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

When i look at the properties, for the virtual hard drive, it actually lists a .avhd file there even though the snapshot never finishes, or creates this file. 
    >> This is the cause of the issue. It seems that the last .avhd of the last snapshot has been deleted accidently before you want to take a new snapshot.

I can reproduce your issue through the following steps:

1. Create a new VM without guest operating system installing.
    2. Take a snapshot for the new created VM.
    3. Proceed to the VM’s folder, rename the only .avhd file.
    4. Take another snapshot and get the following error.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:46 AM
  • the .avhd does not exist since it never finshes creating it.  although HV believes there is supposed to be one.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:25 PM
  • you are reproducing my issue by renaming the .avhd.  problem is that i am not renaming a .avhd file, it just never creates one...
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Alright, well, i was able to resolve the issue. 

First, I was able to resolve the issue w/ the missing .avhd files by just mounting the .vhd file under settings, no big deal.

The real issue was that i was unable to take snapshots.  I have been creating the VM's and VHD in the same directory on a separate array during the new VM config wizard.  None of these VM's were taking snapshots (even though a week ago, they were).  Anyway, i tested with creating somewhere like 15 new VM's and none would work.  I ended up creating another VM where it would store the Virtual Machine in the default path, and i would change the VHD path to go to the separate array.  You follow?  I then tested a snapshot of this VM and it worked!  ok, permissions error.......  Then i created a new test VM and putting everything to the seperate array like i normally do.  I checked permissions to the files and they looked fine to me.  Tested a snapshot for giggles, and it actually worked.  Tested some existing VM's for snapshots as well, and they worked. 

The only conclusion i can make is that by creating that 1 VM to store the VM in the default directory, and the VHD in the seperate array remapped permissions for the NT Virtual Machines, and the GUIDS. 

I am at a loss for words.  If anyone has any input on what possibly happened here, i'd like to listen...

thanks for the input all!

• Marked as answer by Ian Silber Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ian Silber Friday, April 20, 2012 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Anyone have any input on why this actually resolved the issue?  i'm curious because it does not make any sense to me...
    Friday, April 20, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Can anyone take a stab at what may have been the issue, and why it was resolved by saving a new VM in the default path, when i typically save them in an alternate location?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:17 AM