none
Internet Access issue in Server 2012

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a strange issue. I Installed Server 2012 Datacenter edition but I am unable to access Internet with my existing network. I checked my LAN settings thoroughly, changed DNS settings and even installed firefox but still can not access internet. But when I ping www.microsoft.com from command prompt. I get reply responses. I even disable the Firewall too. All my other PCs in the network can access Internet Just fine.

When I pressed "Fix Connection problems" button in IE, It says "website is online but isn't responding to connection attempts"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dinesh

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can disable IPv6 and reset "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" on the server to have a test.

a. Click "Start"->"Run", type "cmd", press Enter. 
    b. In command prompt window, please run the following commands:
    netsh int ip reset log.txt 
    netsh winsock reset 
    c. After that, please reboot the server.
    d. After resetting "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" the TCP/IP settings will be removed, please re-configure the IP address on the server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• Is the server configured as a domain controller? Can you also try a tracert to google from the server 2012 machine and also a working machine just to confirm routes are identical.

Can you also provide more detail on the network configuration, and just to confirm is this a fresh installation of Server 2012?

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCITPVA, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:55 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:41:35 +0000, ghdineshs wrote:

But when I ping www.microsoft.com from command prompt. I get reply responses.

Please copy and paste the results of this ping here. You've got something
    misconfigured somewhere as Microsoft has disabled ping responses from its
    servers for years now. If you're getting anything other than Request timed
    out replies then something is wrong with your name resolution.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot Sigdarkside, 

Yes this is a new installation of Server 2012, I installed Server 2012 in Hpyer-V but Internet did not work, then i tried in VMWare workstation 8 but Internet did not work, then finally I installed it in physical quad-core server but still Internet is not working.

This Server is  not a domain controller and check the following configs,

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-AC-6F-3E-ED-E5
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.250(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\ghdineshs>tracert -d www.google.ca

Tracing route to www.google.ca [173.194.35.184]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2   101 ms   109 ms    99 ms  94.128.6.9
      3  172.17.65.154  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\ghdineshs>tracert -d www.microsoft.com

Tracing route to lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.57.27]

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2   103 ms   109 ms    99 ms  94.128.6.9
      3  172.17.65.234  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your reply Mr. paul

Please find the IP configuration  info below;

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-AC-6F-3E-ED-E5
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.250(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert www.google.ca

Tracing route to www.google.ca [74.125.230.223]

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  e.home [192.168.1.1]
      2    89 ms    99 ms   109 ms  94.128.6.9

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert www.microsoft.com

Tracing route to lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [64.4.11.42]

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  e.home [192.168.1.1]
      2    97 ms    99 ms    99 ms  94.128.6.9

Trace complete.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:11 AM
  • Your routes to both of these address' is incorrect, the third hop is the issue or the routing table on hop 2 is incorrect, can you explain your WAN network topology for me?

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCITPVA, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Yes I can see my last hope is 172.17.65.154. This is my Home Lab, I have several servers, DCs and Exchange 2010. my gateway for all the other servers are 192.168.1.1. and its my ADSL router connecting to ISP. I believe 172.17.65.154 is just inside of ISP network but why does it blocks only the traffic coming from Server 2012?

Even if I trace www.microsoft.com from my other servers, Trace would be same. but Internet works just fine. only Server 2012 has the issue.  Do you think my ISP just blocks Server 2012 traffic?

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:47 PM
  • On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:47:37 +0000, ghdineshs wrote:

Do you think my ISP just blocks Server 2012 traffic?

That's impossible as there is no way to distinguish traffic from a 2012
    server.

Paul Adare
    Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
    them.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Paul is correct however it is very strange that other machines can connect to the network as destination net unreachable mans that the trace has been halted before reaching the end destination usually meaning that a link/route is down or there is an ACL issue. Can you perform a tracert to the same destinations as above from a machine that has no connectivity issues. (also can you confirm that RRAS is not installed on the server 2012 box and that this is on a physical box and not in VMware workstation as this product will add different angles to diagnosis as it has its own virtual network layer)

If the ISP was just masking the router details then you would see * * * Request timed out as a hop.

See below example of for information regarding destination net unreachable.

How to Use Tracert to Troubleshoot

There may be times where the output you get isn’t so clear to you. For example, what if you get an asterisk? As just mentioned in the last section, an asterisk can be a false positive, because the ICMP packet may be traveling through, but something is stopping the report from coming back, most likely a firewall rule or access control list.

You can use tracert to find out where a packet stopped on the network. In the following example, the default gateway has found that there is no valid path for any host. This would mean that both links are down – the T1 and the ISDN and there is no destination available.

C:\>tracert 10.1.1.6
    Tracing route to 22.110.0.1 over a maximum of 30 hops
       -----------------------------------------------------
       1  10.1.2.1  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

From this example, you can see that when you sent the tracert test to 10.1.1.6, the LAN default gateway reported that it could not find a path – to see this in graphical format may help you to understand it better.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Additionally whilst you are getting the tracert from the working computers can you also do a route print  from the server 2012 box and also a working pc.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot for Mr. Paul and Mr. Sigdarkside helping me in this. I am sure there is not any issue with my current network, I believe I have to do certain config in Server 2012 but I have no idea what and where in Server 2012.

Please refer the route print of Server 2012 , IPV6 Disabled

Route Print of Server 2008 R2 (Internet is working just fine in this server)

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Can you provide the 2 trace routes too please, as an additional test can you allow the server 2012 box to obtain its IPv4 details from the router via DHCP and ensure you perform a flush DNS prior.

There is no additional config required for server 2012 other than correct network details. I have deployed over 500 Server 2012's in production in various scenarios and have never had to do anything special to get them to work.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Okay, please find the trace I did from Server 2012 with DHCP enable,

Trace from Server 2008 R2 (Internet functional Box)

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Do you happen to have a proxy server configured on your other machines but not on the 2012 machine?

tim

Friday, November 16, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Hi Tim, Thanks a lot for your reply, Nope there aren't any proxies but I tried with a proxy too. that also failed. :(
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:58 AM
  • I have built a fresh new VM and a fresh install onto a physical box of Server 2012 both worked straight away with minimal config.

One thing I have forgot to ask is how many network cards does this server have? If there is more than one please ensure that the others are disabled as there would be an issue if 2 gateways are present and 1 cannot be contacted.

If this is a virtual machine you have made sure that the VM is connected to a virtual network and that it is configured to the correct VLan. (Virtual Machine manager 2012 can have a habit of enabling VLAN's and tagging it to 1 even when the option has not been checked.)

• Edited by Sigdarkside Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:28 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:25 PM
  • i have same problem ????

mohamed

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:03 AM
  • On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:07:09 +0000, ghdineshs wrote:

Okay, please find the trace I did from Server 2012 with DHCP enable,

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/195161>

Trace from Server 2008 R2 (Internet functional Box)

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/195162>

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned this but your second trace n
    the 2012 box is to the wrong address. You've attempted to trace to
    17.17.65.154 when you should be tracing to 172.17.65.154.

Paul Adare
    If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

You can disable IPv6 and reset "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" on the server to have a test.

a. Click "Start"->"Run", type "cmd", press Enter. 
    b. In command prompt window, please run the following commands:
    netsh int ip reset log.txt 
    netsh winsock reset 
    c. After that, please reboot the server.
    d. After resetting "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" the TCP/IP settings will be removed, please re-configure the IP address on the server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:28 AM
  • not working  i tried above steps same issue no internet on host 2012 srv and on guest vm 2012 srv

but win8 guest working internet fine

mohamed

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:30 PM