none
WDS Deploy x86 with x64 WinPE

Question

• I am using a Windws 7 based WinPE .WIM image to try and image a x86 image of Windows XP.

I have setup WDS on a 64 bit Windows 2008 server with DHCP and am able to network boot from the client machine which has been sysprep'd. I then choose the WINPE.wim image I downloaded and added the network drivers to from the WAIK installation folder but when I try and do a dism.exe /capture-image command from the client pc in the WINPE environment it says it cannot service an operating system older than Windows Vista.

My question is, is this something Im not configuring correctly or can a 64x boot image of WinPE not image a x86 OS?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows XP images are HAL dependent, so before capturing the Windows XP image from any machine, we need to go to the path as followed:

C:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Then right click the file, and you will see the original file name and note it down.

If you use the ImageX for capturing and deploying using WinPE, it works perfectly with WDS. You would find it from the WAIK package. There is a link for your reference:

Title: The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5753

If you deal with the Windows Vista and later version of the OS, you don’t need to worry about the HAL. It’s HAL independent. That’s why Windows 7 is OK.

As we know, Windows XP is approaching to the end of life. I suggest that you’d better use MDT 2010 to migrate to Windows 7. For the detailed information, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Microsoft Ends Support of Windows XP, Office 2003
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_HP_CAROUSEL_123LMUS014562

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Jonathon, I would like to offer a few suggestions.  Almost all customers are using free solution accelerator MDT 2012 which can integrate with WDS to automate the deployment and capturing of images.  I would strongly suggest you give that a try and move in that direction since the product team has put so much effort into its automation, very good product with lots of documentation.  Besides the techincal aspects, it adds process and quality control which are just as important.  MDT also adds value in area of driver management, this is all done on the fly versus you manually having to forecast which drivers may be needed etc.

Due to the age of XP, servicing etc is not possible, architecture is not robust enough to support such as feature.  Once you sysprep, generalize, shutdown, you can capture with imagex.exe.  Using MDT automates this whole process or you can do it manually and map a drive to deployment share and imagex binaries will be on share. 

Finally, James is talking about HAL limitations of XP.  You can't necessarily take an image from one reference machine and expect all the machines in your enterprise use the same HAL so using mutiple images may be necessary.  This has been resolved as newer OS's add that flexibility.  MDT will require a smal learning curve but you will be better of to use it in the long run.  Check out some of the demos and videos online.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows XP images are HAL dependent, so before capturing the Windows XP image from any machine, we need to go to the path as followed:

C:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Then right click the file, and you will see the original file name and note it down.

If you use the ImageX for capturing and deploying using WinPE, it works perfectly with WDS. You would find it from the WAIK package. There is a link for your reference:

Title: The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5753

If you deal with the Windows Vista and later version of the OS, you don’t need to worry about the HAL. It’s HAL independent. That’s why Windows 7 is OK.

As we know, Windows XP is approaching to the end of life. I suggest that you’d better use MDT 2010 to migrate to Windows 7. For the detailed information, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Microsoft Ends Support of Windows XP, Office 2003
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_HP_CAROUSEL_123LMUS014562

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Hi James, thanks for that. What do I do with the file name once I have it?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Further information on this, I am able to boot off the WinPE and I can ping my WDS server. The problem is that ImageX doesnt work from the PE command prompt but when I try to image the machine via DISM.exe I get the error - "dism does not support servicing a windows vista rtm or earlier operating system"
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Jonathon, I would like to offer a few suggestions.  Almost all customers are using free solution accelerator MDT 2012 which can integrate with WDS to automate the deployment and capturing of images.  I would strongly suggest you give that a try and move in that direction since the product team has put so much effort into its automation, very good product with lots of documentation.  Besides the techincal aspects, it adds process and quality control which are just as important.  MDT also adds value in area of driver management, this is all done on the fly versus you manually having to forecast which drivers may be needed etc.

Due to the age of XP, servicing etc is not possible, architecture is not robust enough to support such as feature.  Once you sysprep, generalize, shutdown, you can capture with imagex.exe.  Using MDT automates this whole process or you can do it manually and map a drive to deployment share and imagex binaries will be on share. 

Finally, James is talking about HAL limitations of XP.  You can't necessarily take an image from one reference machine and expect all the machines in your enterprise use the same HAL so using mutiple images may be necessary.  This has been resolved as newer OS's add that flexibility.  MDT will require a smal learning curve but you will be better of to use it in the long run.  Check out some of the demos and videos online.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:55 AM