Where do I get unlimited product keys for unlimited virtualization rights?

Question

• Hi,

I'm researching the datacenter edition of windows server 2008 r2.  It states there are unlimited virtualization rights with this edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-datacenter.aspx

When I buy this edition, does it stop asking me for product keys when I install windows onto virtual machines? Or do I get unlimited product keys for other windows editions like standard or web?

Thanks,
    DJ
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition product key, you can input this key to activate it when you install a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter VM. If you want to activate other version of Windows such as standard or web edition, you need to call Microsoft Activate Center to downgrade the OS.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition product key, you can input this key to activate it when you install a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter VM. If you want to activate other version of Windows such as standard or web edition, you need to call Microsoft Activate Center to downgrade the OS.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  So on each virtual machine, I should call microsoft when I activate it if I want standard edition?  What's the easiest thing for me to do here.. Should I just be installing Datacenter edition on all my virtual machines?  At that point, I assume I get unlimited activations of my datacenter edition product key without having to call microsoft.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
    DJ
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can say so.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, March 08, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

ok I think I understand. thanks again for helpin clarify things.

DJ
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:46 PM