none
Disable Caret Browsing for IE8 (F7)

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use the policy to disable Caret Browsing for IE8 (F7) for a public access machine I am setting up.

I have tried User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page "Turn on Caret Browsing support" (Disabled) but this hasn't worked? I still hit F7 and Caret Browsing appears.

I have also tried the registry HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CaretBrowsing
    EnableOnStartup REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (Disabled) or 0x00000001 (Enabled) from another thread I found, I hit F7 and Caret Browsing appears.

Does someone have a working solution?

Cheers!

Robert.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the Policy “Turn on Caret Browsing support” definition:

If you enable this policy setting, Caret Browsing will be turned on.

If you disable this policy setting, Caret Browsing will be turned off.

If you do not configure this policy setting, Caret Browsing support may be turned on or off through the registry.

The policy doesn’t disable Caret Browsing feature, just set default status for the feature.

If you disable the policy setting, Caret Browsing is turned off for new IE tab, however you can press “F7” to enable it. But for next new IE tab, the Caret Browsing feature is still turned off, the feature cannot be enabled from the client.

You can check the setting in IE--> Tools--> Internet Options --> Advanced tab --> Settings -->Enable Caret Browsing for new windows and tabs -->checkbox is unchecked and option is grayed out.

After search we don’t find a Group Policy or registry entry to disable Caret Browsing feature.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Group Policy and Internet Explorer 8

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the Policy “Turn on Caret Browsing support” definition:

If you enable this policy setting, Caret Browsing will be turned on.

If you disable this policy setting, Caret Browsing will be turned off.

If you do not configure this policy setting, Caret Browsing support may be turned on or off through the registry.

The policy doesn’t disable Caret Browsing feature, just set default status for the feature.

If you disable the policy setting, Caret Browsing is turned off for new IE tab, however you can press “F7” to enable it. But for next new IE tab, the Caret Browsing feature is still turned off, the feature cannot be enabled from the client.

You can check the setting in IE--> Tools--> Internet Options --> Advanced tab --> Settings -->Enable Caret Browsing for new windows and tabs -->checkbox is unchecked and option is grayed out.

After search we don’t find a Group Policy or registry entry to disable Caret Browsing feature.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Group Policy and Internet Explorer 8

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for this, I guess in order to get around this I will need to disable the F7 key completely to prevent this from happening.

Thanks again for addressing this, this was very helpful to my project.

Regards,

Robert.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:51 PM