none
Workstating loosing connection to server

Question

• I have the following problem. I’m currently running a network with 2 servers

Server 1

OS                                          Windows Server 2008

IP ADDRESS:                       192.168.0.10

Server Name:                    CNO-10

Services:                              Active Directory Domain Controller

File Server

IIS

Server 2

OS:                                         Windows Server 2003

IP ADDRESS:                       192.168.0.11

Server Name:                    CNO-11

I then have 20 workstations some with Windows 7 and others with Windows XP they are all joined to the network Domain.  The problem I’m currently experiencing is that for some reason between 4-6 in the afternoon the workstations loses connection with Server CNO-10, and also they can’t connect to their mapped network drive. However they do have internet access and they can connect to the other Server (CNO-11) If they restart the workstation, connection to Server CNO-10 is restored and starts working again. It doesn’t sound like a DHCP problem because must workstations have Static IP configured. What can be causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:59 PM

Answers

• You need to isolate the problem a bit more before we can usefully proceed with finding the issue.

I'd start on the workstations, get on one and look at the logs during the period they can't connect and find out exactly in what way they can't connect - are they finding the server and having connections refused for example? Can the server find them during that time period? Can they resolve the server's name? Try a desktop excluded from all but domain default policies and see if that has the same issue.

The problem could be on the server, it could be in your GPOs and thus all desktops, it could be on the network layer (does your cleaner come in between 4 and 6? :-) ).

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:49 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the logs and reliability monitor on server 10?  Since the desktops continue to work it sounds like it's the server that's acting up.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:46 AM
  • Hi Chris thanks for the quick reply. I have been looking at the logs and reliability monitor but I don't see anything out of the ordinary  the reliability index is at 9. Do i have to look at a specific log? 

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:09 PM
  • You need to isolate the problem a bit more before we can usefully proceed with finding the issue.

I'd start on the workstations, get on one and look at the logs during the period they can't connect and find out exactly in what way they can't connect - are they finding the server and having connections refused for example? Can the server find them during that time period? Can they resolve the server's name? Try a desktop excluded from all but domain default policies and see if that has the same issue.

The problem could be on the server, it could be in your GPOs and thus all desktops, it could be on the network layer (does your cleaner come in between 4 and 6? :-) ).

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:49 PM