none
2008 R2 with servers roles and Hyper-v with VM at the same time?

Question

• Can I use Server 2008 R2 with AD, DNS, ( want to add Exchange role) and Hyper-V roles enables and run two VM runing Windows 2008 Core servers with roles added?

I am using an AMD-V tri core server with 8 Gigs of RAM. I am trying to set up a test bed system.

I am getting the feeling that a 2008 R2 Hyper- V can run one or the other but not both currently. I haven't been able to find this answer specifically.

Thanks,

Doug

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

• You are better off creating VMs to run the extra roles.  A Hyper-V host should only run Hyper-V.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:49 PM
  • As SQLCraftsman stated, you should not install any other role on your Hyper-V host, but rather install these roles as VMs within Hyper-V. This is recommended for performance, stability, and security.

You should dedicate a set of disk for the OS partition, and a set of disk for the data partition, where the VMs should be located. 

Best practice is also to have a dedicated NIC for host management, and dedicated NIC for External Virtual Networks, to assign your VMs with a network connection.

Regards, 

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:10 PM

All replies

• You are better off creating VMs to run the extra roles.  A Hyper-V host should only run Hyper-V.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:49 PM
  • As SQLCraftsman stated, you should not install any other role on your Hyper-V host, but rather install these roles as VMs within Hyper-V. This is recommended for performance, stability, and security.

You should dedicate a set of disk for the OS partition, and a set of disk for the data partition, where the VMs should be located. 

Best practice is also to have a dedicated NIC for host management, and dedicated NIC for External Virtual Networks, to assign your VMs with a network connection.

Regards, 

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:10 PM
  • You can run Hyper-V with other roles, but its an unsupported configuration and against the best practices for using Hyper-V, so you shouldn't.  There are no technical or other enforced restrictions that will prevent you from doing it.

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Even when considering its a testbed, I would make the AD/DNS server a guest rather than having to share roles with Hyper-v.

But as smjain says, a server can run other roles than hyper-v, but its not recomended. If you have the time and a sense of adventure try both and see what the diffrences are, after all that's what testbeds are for =)

tally-ho

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

You can also check the following blog.

Hyper-V, not your mother's Windows server anymore..is it really appropriate to run Exchange in the Hyper-V parent partition?

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/03/hyper-v-not-your-mothers-windows-server.html

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:11 AM
  • You can run Hyper-V with other roles, but its an unsupported configuration.

Any Microsoft link and doc to support it?

thx

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:05 AM
  • What about Virtual Server? Can the 'virtual' license be used with this? If you can are you still tied in to running nothing else on the physical server though?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:59 PM