none
EISA active partition problem

Question

•  I've identified a backup error related to an EISA partition being marked as active on my boot drive.   See here for a related thread:  http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2470950&SiteID=17.

If I make the EISA partition not active, and mark the partition containing my Server 2008 install active, the backups work fine but the system does not boot.  What recovery/repair tools are available to repair this - something like fixmbr or similar?

tgoddard
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would highly suggest that you contact hardware device manufacturers to do this. The EISA partition may contain some important files to boot the computer. If this partition is bypassed during the boot process, some devices may not work correctly.

Besides, we have noticed this issue that, if the system partition is not marked as Active, the backup process may fail. We are trying our best to work with hardware device manufacturers to resolve this problem. But for now, I am sorry to say that the only way is to contact the manufacturers to safely remove the EISA partition.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:56 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would highly suggest that you contact hardware device manufacturers to do this. The EISA partition may contain some important files to boot the computer. If this partition is bypassed during the boot process, some devices may not work correctly.

Besides, we have noticed this issue that, if the system partition is not marked as Active, the backup process may fail. We are trying our best to work with hardware device manufacturers to resolve this problem. But for now, I am sorry to say that the only way is to contact the manufacturers to safely remove the EISA partition.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:56 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:50 AM
  • I've got the same issue. Followed instructions on how to mark C:/ as active rather than EISA on Dell PowerEdge T300 server. The system will no longer boot with MBR not found error. What exactly is in the EISA partition? I have SBS 2008 and it DID NOT come with the system - I installed it manually. Why is the Master Boot Record not within the C:/ as thats where the SBS 2008 install is.

I have booted from the CD but it cannot find drivers for the Dell PERC i/6 Adapter - I've provided these but it states that "Install has failed" or just dissappears saying nothing.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Hello,

To write the MBR use bootrec.exe

927392 How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927392

This applies to Windows Server 2008 as well as Windows Vista.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Thanks for this. Unfortunately this didn't work for me as the setup couldn't find the RAID drivers. I have now done a complete reinstall of the OS as per Dell's instructions to boot from the OpenManage Linux Kernal and select Windows Small Business Server 2008 x64. Then choose NOT to install utility partition. The backup now functions correctly as the C:/ is listed as Active. Dell have hopefully got this issue to higher management as per my suggestion who can investigate further as many people could be experiencing this issue for both factory and after installs of the OS.

So to summarise the idea is to boot from the Dell OpenManage disk and follow instructions from there. If you already have SBS 2008 installed with a non-functioning backup try using another backup tool such as Backup Exec to capture data. If worst comes to worst as in my case export users .pst's and reinstall the OS via OpenManange. Before you try reinstalling the OS try a Repair of SBS 2008 whilst restoring the Master Boot Record which may actually work if you are not using a RAID controller which asks for drivers. There seems to be some issue with it not accepting the drivers from the Dell site.

What a complete nightmare!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:07 AM