none
Registry rights

Question

• Hi,

I have got problems with access to registry. I install an application and it tries to define new registry key, but it does not have access, becouse the access rights. Installation fails becouse of
    ProductException: (error code = 601; message="Access is denied. (5)  Error on line 3")
    When I analysed log file, I found, that the error is due to trying to create new registry key in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_xxxxxxxxx]. (xxxxxxx - it is application name...)
    I used regedit to find where is the problem and I found that like an Administrator user I have only access (FULL CONTROL) to ...\CurrentControlSet\ but no more. I tried to add Administrators group with FULL CONTROL permission to security permissions for the whole path, but the system does not allow me to do this. The message from "Windows security" is: "Unable to save permission changes on Enum. Access denied." ...

Please can you help me? Where is my problem?

I use Windows Server 2008.

Petas
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:39 AM

Answers

• Actually you cannot do this, because you really don't have sufficient permissions to change these permissions. Only NT Authority\System can change permissions on this registry path.

I know the only one workaround: to use psexec utility (from sysinternals) to open program under LocalSystem context and change permissions.

http://www.sysadmins.lv
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• Before messing around with registry permissions, try right-clicking the installer for the application and then selecting Run As Administrator.

Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I have already tried it, but with the same problem.

I would like to mention that I tried to set up these registry permissions on Windows Server 2003, also XP, ... and there is no problem. Don't you know any differences how to set up registry permissions on Windows Server 2008?

I use this in "regedit": Right button -> Permissions... -> Add... -> Administrators, then I choose FULL CONTROL and Apply, OK... and? Access denied...
    I don't know where is the problem, becouse I can set permissions anywhere else (on that Windows Server 2008).

So, how can I add Administrators group with FULL CONTROL permissions to security permissions for this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ on Windows Server 2008?

I also tried to go through Local Security Policy, but I didn't discover anything.

Petas
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Actually you cannot do this, because you really don't have sufficient permissions to change these permissions. Only NT Authority\System can change permissions on this registry path.

I know the only one workaround: to use psexec utility (from sysinternals) to open program under LocalSystem context and change permissions.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:52 AM
  • I have tested another solution that seems like works. You need to change owner to administrator account (yourself, not to Administrators group). After that you will be able to change permissions.

Monday, December 14, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Thank you very much!

When I used psexec utility to run regedit under system account, it was possible to change permissions.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:58 PM