none
Configure Deduplication is grayed out?

Question

• I've just installed server 2012 inside a hyper-v on windows 8, and I've installed the new de duplication feature.

But once I go to the disk manager the option to configure deduplication is greyed out, why is this?
    Is this a feature which doesn't work for the C drive or is it because I'm using a virtual machine or is there some other reason?

Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:33 PM

Answers

• It is not supportet to run in the os drive.

Volumes that are candidates for deduplication must conform to the following requirements:

• Must not be a system or boot volume. Deduplication is not supported on operating system volumes.
    • Can be partitioned as a master boot record (MBR) or a GUID Partition Table (GPT), and must be formatted using the NTFS file system.
    • Can reside on shared storage, such as storage that uses a Fibre Channel or an SAS array, or when an iSCSI SAN and Windows Failover Clustering is fully supported.
    • Do not rely on Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs). You can access data if a deduplication-enabled volume is converted to a CSV, but you cannot continue to process files for deduplication.
    • Do not rely on the Microsoft Resilient File System (ReFS).
    • Must be exposed to the operating system as non-removable drives. Remotely-mapped drives are not supported.
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:46 PM