none
DNS Stop Working on Windows Server 2008 (event ih 4000,4015,1053,1054)

Question

• HI,

I have two domain controllers running Windows Server 2008 std edition 64bit. (Dell power edge 1950)
    Each DC running DNS server and the domain zone are Active Directory integrated.
    The servers are Global Catalogs and the FSMO roles running on the schema master server.
    No previous verson of windows domain controllers are prensent in the AD Site.
    Each machine has the symantec backup exec agent for windows servers istalled. McAfee antivirus in present but it is disable. No firewall running on the server (windows firewall is also disable).
    Each server point to himself to resolve dns query.
    Every 7 / 10 days the events 4000 and 4015 appears on the event viewer and the AD stop working.
    During this problem, network share are accesible (also sysvol folder), dns name resolution working correctly but no ad replica are possible, no directory access are possible.
    If I restart the DNS service on the servers all problems stop.
    MS technet refer about this events only for windows 2003/2000.
    Can someone help me?

Marco
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:38 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Since the issue occurs intermittently, and debug/dump analysis should be required to troubleshoot this issue, please understand that forum is not the best resource. I’d like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance in order to resolve the issue more efficiently.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Thank you for your understanding
    Friday, August 22, 2008 8:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Since the issue occurs intermittently, and debug/dump analysis should be required to troubleshoot this issue, please understand that forum is not the best resource. I’d like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance in order to resolve the issue more efficiently.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Thank you for your understanding
    Friday, August 22, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the following:

1. the GC role and Schma Master should be on different machines
    2.each server DNS should point the two Machines using their actual IP address (ex. don't use 127.0.0.1)
    3. Can you post you event Details ?
    Hikmat Kanaan
    • Proposed as answer by Hikmat Kanaan Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Hi,
    Now the GC and the schema master are on different machine.
    The dns configuration it's Ok.

Marco.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I've got the exact same symptoms.. Same OS, "server 2008 x64" running on a dell 1950 III..  what if we only have one server in the domain.. how then can we separate said roles?? 

It looks to begin with dns and event 4015,

performing a dcdiag results in:

C:\Users\Administrator>dcdiag

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
       Trying to find home server...
       Home Server = WiseServer
       Ldap search capabality attribute search failed on server WiseServer, return
       value = 81

C:\Users\Administrator>

DNS resolution does still work however if i try to ping www.google.com or another workstation in the domain.  Strangely enough, IIS no longer works nor does browsing the web using IE.

ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : BASP Virtual Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-B2-B9-AD
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2402:1cb5:1b8a:b878%13(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.4.50(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.4.5
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.4.50
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I updated the NIC drivers about 25 days ago which looked to have remedied this problem.  This server is equipped with broadcom bcm5708c nics which i have configured in a team.  prior to updating the drivers, the issue would present every 3-4 days.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eugene

• Edited by eugene han Tuesday, September 02, 2008 10:06 PM added info
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

I just got of chat with dell support.. i think the issue is related to the NIC drivers.  I would update to the latest ones available.  I did this upgrade, then teamed the nics.  they recommended i remote the team. 

going to see how it goes.

also, when I experienced this issue originally, i noticed that ipconfig returned funky data like %1 and stuff like that which led me to believe it was driver related.

good luck.

e
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 12:06 AM
  • HI,

The Separation of Roles is required only if you Have multiple DC controllers , where not all of the DC are also GC.

In the case where you have only one DC it will be holding all the roles , Their could be a problem in your DNS configuration ?
    in your case your using multiple NIC which might create miss configuration.

please post more details about you NIC's  configuration. Basically you need all NIC's point to IP address of DNS server not Loop back address , you might need to remove the register this connection in DNS for all connection except the one that is used as DNS ip address.

More details about your configuration will help more  
    Hikmat Kanaan Amman-Jordan MCSE
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:48 AM
  • HI,
    in my configuration no network teaming configuration is present.
    The NIC driver was installed by DELL Setup CD during the setup steps.
    No Windows Drivers Update was performed.
    After Hikmat Kanaan first post's I separated the gc from the schema master.
    From this action no error occurred. In the past  the error occurred every 10 days, so next week, past 10 days, we will see if the action was correct.

During this period, will try to understanding if the DELL support have any similar cases already solved.

See you later....

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I'm having this same issue on a 2008 x64 server, running on a PE2900 II. I'm not 100% sure what drivers were installed on it originally, but I know it's running the BroadCom BCM5708C. Will update the drivers tonight and reboot, see if that helps.

It's quite odd; the server is still servicing DNS requests from clients, it's still logging people in and out, but can't browse, can't dcdiag, can't mount network drives, etc. Makes for an interesting situation.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:59 AM
  • HI,
     Can you Post your Netcard TCP/IP configration ?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:24 PM
  • First Server

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RM2S01
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : xyz.dom
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xyz.dom

Ethernet adapter LAN BCM5708C  PORTA2 (unplugged):

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS
     VBD Client) #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-AB-C7-FC
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter LAN BCM5708C  PORTA1:

VBD Client)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-AB-C7-FA
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11
       Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.12
       Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11

Second Server
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RM2S01
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : bellearti.dom
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : bellearti.dom

Ethernet adapter LAN BCM5708C  PORTA2 (unplugged):

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
     VBD Client) #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-AB-C7-FC
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter LAN BCM5708C  PORTA1:

VBD Client)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-C9-AB-C7-FA
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11
       Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.12
       Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.16.1.11

Last Week a new Windows Server 2008 64 bit domain controller are joined to the domain. The server has a different network card and the problem is not present!!!!
    I try to update the broadcom nic drivers using the last package present on the broadcom web site but the problem already occurs.

Thank.
    Marco

Monday, October 06, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Has anyone come up with a solution to this other then calling up MS? I have this sistuation but it does not occur every so many days it happens daily. I get the event id 4000 and 4015 and I am unable to open directory services like AD users and computers. I am runing a single DC on a vmware esx server. I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to fix this issue. Restarting the DNS service does not fix the issue for me I have to do a full reboot. The issue will stay mostly solved for arround 12 hrs. I say mostly because no matter what I do if I right click on an AD service and click change domain controllers, my domain controller shows unavailable.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Hi,  Michael

Can you please Post the full text of the event 4000,4015? and some information about you network servers configration ?

Hi , Marco Lalle  , Are still faceing the same problem or was it solved when you seprated the GC from Schema master ?
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:03 PM
  • I too am getting this same behavior with a new Dell 1950 III Windows Server 2008 X64. the first symptom is that NTFRS complains that it can't connect to various domain controllers and then Active Directory domain Services starts complaining about connectivity issues including "The Knowledge Consistency Checker (KCC) was unable to form a complete spanning tree network topology. As a result, the following list of sites cannot be reached from the local site. " With a reboot of the system all is well for a few hours and then it comes back. I have removed the GC roll and updated to the latest drivers from Broadcom but I'm still getting the same results. I have been struggling with this for about a month now.

Paul

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Has anybody made any progress on this?  I'm having the exact same issue.  Single DC, updated drivers, works great for about 3 days then gets the 4015 and 4000 errors, the same dcdiag error, etc.  I've tried restarting various services but only a reboot seems to fix the problem (temporarily).  The very few articles I could find on this have all suggested DNS as the culprit but name resolution works fine even when the server is having problems.  I think it's more of an LDAP/port 389 issue but I just can't pinpoint it.  Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tom
    Friday, February 06, 2009 3:26 PM
  • HI,
    I left the company that followed the customer with this problem, but before leaving I did a test on  production environment that has the problem.
    I installed a windows server 2003 32 bit on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 whit the same broadcom network card. Using a popular product for virtualization I create a VM with windows server 2008 and join it in the same doman. I configured the server as a domain controller.
    I moved the roles from the  Dell PE1950 servers with the problem to the virtual domain controller. 
    I did all this to see if the problem was related to active directory, but after 7 days the problem is repeated but the virtual server continued to function perfectly.
    .....I think that its a hardware problem..........
    Friday, February 06, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I am currently working with Dell and they would like to see TOE disabled. I tried to disable it via "netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled". The OS then reports that TOE is disabled but BACS and Openmanage think that it's still enabled. I don't have physical access to this server until next week but there is a jumper on the motherboard to disable TOE and I will be setting that next week. If that doesn't work I'm going to give up on the Broadcom card and install an Intel card and put super glue in the Broadcom ports. I too believe that it's a hardware problem.........
    Friday, February 06, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Thank you Marco and Paul for the updates.  I still have a hard time believing it's simply a bad network card (although that would actually be ok since it's something that's easily fixed!).   At this point, I'm willing to try anything so I'll switch nics and see what happens.  The only bad thing is I have to wait about 3 days to see if it fails or not!

Thanks again,
    Tom
    Friday, February 06, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Hello All,

If you have a Broadcom NIC then there is a know problem with dell 2950 and 1950.

Thanks

Syed Khairuddin
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 6:10 AM
  • HI,
    before doing the test with the virtual dc, I installed the intel network card on PE1950. 
    I disabled the Broadcom cards  this action was not resolutive......
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:41 AM
  • I removed the TOE interface from the motherboard and I'm still having the same problem. I try putting in an Intell NIC next week and see if that fixes the problem. In the mean time I will continue to work with Dell to see what if anything they come up with.
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Gentlemen

Eugene here again... I thought i had this licked by removing the NIC team, but the issue has resurfaced..

I will say that the frequency at which DNS breaks has decreased, looks like it goes along for at least a month or so now.

Syed Khairuddin said:

Hello All,

If you have a Broadcom NIC then there is a know problem with dell 2950 and 1950.

Thanks

Syed Khairuddin

I think Syed is on to something here.. I'm going send a link to broadcom of this thread..

Checked dell support and looks like marco lalle has already tried this avenue:  http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19209691.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&s=bsd

This issue has gone on for way too long w/o any help from the Vendors.

Friday, February 13, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Hello

I too am getting the same errors. I have 8 domain controllers (Windows 2008) distributed among 3 different sites. Everything was working fine until recently.
    For the past few days, i have been getting the following errors and warnings on all of my DC's on a frequent basis (daily on some, longer on others)

Events: 1925, 1311, 1566,1865    Source: ActiveDirectory_DomainService
    Events: 4000, 4015, 4004             Source: DNS-Server-Service
    Events: 13508, 13526, 13562       Source: NtFrs

At that point the AD stops working. The problems go away when i restart the servers. But the next day or the day after that, it reappear. There's no specific timing, it's just random.

Let me clarify that nothing was changed. Everything was working fine for more than 4 months. Now all of a sudden, i am starting to have these issues.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards

P.S. I am having this issue on HP Proliant DL380 G5 and G4 servers.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I believe Undying Lament's post ended with "PS - I'm having this issue on HP" but it's hard to tell because that line got cut off.   Maybe he'll be back to confirm.  Anyway I'm also using a HP (Proliant ML350 G4P) and have tried 2 different Broadcom cards with no luck - part #'s  BCM5703 and BCM5705.   The issue for us seemed to start shortly after we installed antivirus and windows updates but that could be purely coincidental.  The updates that were installed were:

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i
    KB957388
    KB955839
    KB960714
    KB958624
    KB958623
    KB958215
    KB956802
    KB958687

Don't know if those caused the problem or not.  Just trying to find some commonality so I can get this fixed!

Tom

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:03 PM
  • So far I have tried replacing the motherboard, adding an Intel NIC, swapping out to a different network cable, and tried various ports on the switch. nothing seems to matter so far. I thought I had disabled Mcafee before but I have made so many changes that I can't remember so I'm disabling Mcafee now and will see if that makes a difference.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:36 PM
  • We are having the same problem on the only 2008 DC in our domain.

It is running on a PE2900 with the Broadcom 5708 NIC. I have ordered an Intel NIC to see if it fixes this problem. It was running in a test environment with no issues for a couple of months before deployment.

We are also running McAfee here, 8.5. I will see if the new NIC resolves our issue. Dell at first suggested a driver update, but we are running the latest version from the Dell site, Broadcom has a newer driver on their site but it failed to install. Hopefully the Intel NIC will resolve this.

I really think its a NIC issue.... but Paul B's results tend to disprove that.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hi all -

I just found this article today:

http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2009/02/11/hotfix-for-server-2008-issue-available/

with a little more info here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/02/12/you-may-lose-network-connectivity-on-sbs-2008-when-using-a-driver-which-utilizes-tdi.aspx

It looks very promising but it's so new there is not even a KB article yet.  I've downloaded the fix and will probably install it tonight.

Wish me luck!

Tom
    • Edited by Tom Ruff Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Well Tom, you might be onto something here. I was able to uninstall Mcafee this morning and reboot and I've now gone 9 hours without an issue. The HotFix sounds like it will let me turn my virus scanner back on so I might try that after a day or so of stability.

Paul
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:53 AM
  • Yes Tom, I'm having that issue on my HP Proliant DL380 G5 and G4 servers. But woah, great findings. Those articles indeed look very promising. btw did you install the hotfix yet? Please do post the results here.

thanks and again great findings man!

regards  

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Hey guys -

I did install the patch last evening and so far everything seems fine.  That server was crashing about every 2 days, so now I'm just stuck waiting until Friday to see if the patch actually worked!  Paul - keep us posted on your success(?) with removing McAfee.  I left McAfee alone on our server so that should tell us if the patch and McAfee will work together.  I'm starting to think there may actually be some light at the end of this tunnel.....

Tom
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I think we might have found the issue. I had been failing every 4 hours or so and now with Mcafee uninstalled we have  gone 24 hours without an issue. The next step I will take is to install the hotfix and then reinstall Mcafee and see how that goes. I'm about ready to claim success.

Paul
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:07 PM
  • I have to think my problem is the same as everyone elses, seeing as that we are also running McAfee.

But.. our server only has this issue once or twice a month. Very interesting!
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:54 PM
  • btw i'm using Trend Micro Officescan
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Well, since applying the hotfix, the problematic server has been running great for over a week now!  It used to crash every 2-3 days.  Even though Microsoft still hasn't written the KB article, the hotfix can be downloaded from here: http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=961775&kbln=en-us  I'm going to consider this one resolved (finally!!!)

Tom

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Same experience here except mine used to crash every 4 hours or so. We are now resolved after the hotfix.

Paul
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

I was having this issue on a daily basis almost. Mine was fixed (apparently) on its own without applying the hotfix. What i did to avoid the issue was that I kept restarting all the DC's once every day for 3-4 days. After 3-4 days, the issues did not appear, atleast not until now. It has been two weeks almost. I'm actually happy I did not have to apply the hotfix.

Regards
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:49 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but, I came across it after experiencing the same problem and hope this helps others who may run across it.

We recently deployed an update to our Trend OfficeScan client (version 8 to 10) and one of our 2008 DC's was upgraded.  After that, Active Directory consoles would no longer load; I'd get a popup stating that The server is not operational.
    If I pinged the DC from its own command prompt window, it shows:

Reply from ::1: time<1ms

(It used to show an IPv6 address but I disabled it, during troubleshooting)

Oddly, doing an nslookup of this DC, using this DC's own DNS server, returned the right ipv4 address.

After reading this, I'm sure it has something to do with the antivirus update and plan to uninstall and reboot the server.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Some helpful troubleshooting information regarding this error has just been posted on the TechNet Wiki

DNS Stops Working on Windows Server 2008 (DNS Event ID 4000 & 4015 and Userenv Event ID 1053 & 1054)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/dns-stops-working-on-windows-server-2008-dns-event-id-4000-amp-4015-and-userenv-event-id-1053-amp-1054-dsforum2wiki.aspx

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:55 AM
  • HP proliant dl160 G5 х64 Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.
    We have the same problem. Once a week DNS stop working. 

Solution KB 961775 with Fix255818 not working on Server 2008 R2.

Fix255818 show message "not for this operating system"

AD stop working and stop working JIRA and TEAMCITY!
    After reboting server all work fine for one week.

(already setup DNS as local IP instead of 127.0.0.1 for network connection)

----------------------------------

Log Name: DNS
    Level: Error
    LevelNum: 3

Server DNS: [4015] The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

Server DNS: [4004] The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone _msdcs.private.local. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

Log Name: Active
    Directory Web Services ADWS: [1206] Active Directory Web Services was unable to determine if the computer is a global catalog server.

Log Name: System
    [1054] The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not obtain the name of a domain controller. This could be caused by a name resolution failure. Verify your Domain Name System (DNS) is configured and working correctly.

Server DNS: [4000] The DNS server was unable to open Active Directory. This DNS server is configured to obtain and use information from the directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and reload the zone. The event data is the error code.

Level: Warning
    LevelNum: 4
    Server DNS: [4013] The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Windows6.0-KB961775-x64.msu show messqage "the update is not applicable to your computer".

Windows6.0-KB961775-x86.msu show messqage "the update is not applicable to your computer".

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Hi Konsultinvest

I have the same problem on a 2008R2 server, did you manage to find a fix to the problem?

Monday, February 04, 2013 11:02 AM
  • I also have the exact same problem, Joachim.  Did you ever find a solution?
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:53 PM