none
deploy wim image with wds

Question

• Hi All,

i installed wds over ris and made boot image from winpe,

also i made install image from windows vista and xp *.wim.

when i boot from PXE i get ris and winpe but i cant find my install images

what can i do to allow deploy install images ????

Monday, December 18, 2006 2:44 PM

Answers

• This is actually a tricky one. If you read through the documentation, you will notice it doesn't say Install Boot Image, just Install Image. This makes sense since the Install Image is not bootable. Instead, when you PXE boot the system, you select the Boot Image for the OS you want to load. After it boots up, you will be prompted for your domain credentials. After you authenticate, you will be able to select the Install image created from that Boot Image. Hope that helps.

Steve Seguis

Friday, December 22, 2006 4:33 AM

All replies

• This is actually a tricky one. If you read through the documentation, you will notice it doesn't say Install Boot Image, just Install Image. This makes sense since the Install Image is not bootable. Instead, when you PXE boot the system, you select the Boot Image for the OS you want to load. After it boots up, you will be prompted for your domain credentials. After you authenticate, you will be able to select the Install image created from that Boot Image. Hope that helps.

Steve Seguis

Friday, December 22, 2006 4:33 AM
  • afraid I'm having the same problem and can't seem to get beyond it.......sure would appreciate any help as this is really frustrating me. Thanks
    Monday, January 29, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

You will need to use the boot.wim file from your Windows Vista DVD as a boot image.

Select that from the boot menu when your client PXE-boots, and it should launch setup straight away to deploy your images.

Thanks,
    Jez

Monday, January 29, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I created an image from an XP machine and was able to capture it to WDS but now when I use the same computer to connect to WDS using PXE the image I captured isn't displayed.  Any ideas what be wrong?
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Have you had any luck getting past this problem.  I am having the same problem where no install images show up.  I have both vista and xp install images but neither show up in the vista setup boot image. 

Thanks

Steve Massman

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:30 PM
  • yess i resolved it,

you need to delete your boot image and add the boot.wim from your vista dvd.

Ofir

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:25 AM
  • I'm having a similair problem.

I've installed WDS on our RIS server and have installed the install.wim and the boot.wim from the Vista DVD.  I can boot a client and download the boot loader I select the Region and Keyboard layout I can then choose which image to deploy but when I click next the next screen I get says The Installation was cancelled Windows could not display the images avaliable for installation.

The only option is Ok and the box reboots

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I'm having a very similar problem to Kjhoskin.

For starters:

I'm trying to deploy Windows Vista Enterprise to multiple rooms on a college campus.  I have administrative rights to the RIS/WDS server and can successfully deploy flat, unmodified versions of Vista Enterprise.  I add software / drivers / configurations to this setup and created a bootable Windows PE CD that has the Windows Vista Enterprise "boot.wim" file on it and the required folder structure to get imagex.exe working in the PE environment (Followed instructions at Windows Vista Deployment Step by Step Guide).

Once in the Windows PE environment, I run the following command lines to create the image:

net use z: \\SWIDS01\REMINST\tmp

d:\imagex.exe /CAPTURE /flags "Enterprise" /compress fast C z:\VistaTemp.wim "Temporary Windows Vista Image"

The imagex.exe process completes successfully after about 75 minutes, and I'm left with a 4.5GB WIM file on the TMP directory of the RIS/WDS server.  I move this file into the REMINST\Images folder and into the appropriate subfolder to locate it easily.  Now, that file shows up in my WDS console as a valid WIM file.  I attempt to PXE boot a client into WDS deployment mode and get the normal language and keyboard layout prompt, and then log in with my credentials.  I am presented with the list of images (all in WIM format) that I are on the server, and the image that I just created shows up.  I select it, and deployment begins as I'd expect it to. 

The first stage of deployment, "Copying Files" completes successfully, but the second stage, "Extracting Files" only goes up to 1% completion and then I am presented with this error message:

Install Windows

The installation was cancelled

Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved.

Install Windows

Windows cannot install required files.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070020

What files are missing?  I know that I had to move a couple from the Windows AIK into my system32 directory to get WDS to deploy anything... are there more 'undocumented' files I should also copy to System32 on the server to make this work?

I am very familiar with RIS and how to take a 2000/XP image and create or deploy it from a server, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the whole Windows Vista / imagex seems like a step backwards from riprep.  I mean really... we go from a fully automated GUI program to having to reboot and do this stuff at command line?

What are the correct steps to create an image of a system that has been configured with Windows Vista?

• What are the "best practices" for storing and accessing that image to download it quickly and efficiently across a LAN using WDS?
    • Do Microsoft Windows Updates affect the creation of WIM files in a similar way to how they affected creation of RIPREP images?
    • Are there any ways to check the viability of a WIM image that was uploaded short of attempting to deploy it to a client workstation?
    • Are there any ways to repair a WIM image that gives the above error message during deployment?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:05 PM
  •  

• What are the "best practices" for storing and accessing that image to download it quickly and efficiently across a LAN using WDS?

Please refer to the WDS whitepaper:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81031

chapter 'Working with Images'. For deploying custom images, using the WDS capture utility is a good way to go. You can even automate this whole process with an unattend file if you so desire.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Jez,

I am having trouble getting WDS to work.  Here is what I have done so far.

Installed WDS on a Windows 2003 R2 server.

Configured the WDS/server per the posts I had found (In Native mode as I was installing clean without RIS).

Located a copy of the boot.wim from a Vista CD.

Right clicked on the boot images folder in WDS and selected  to create a boot image file using the Vista boot.wim file (Named it Install.wim).

Right clicked on the newly created Install.wim file and selected to create a capture boot image. (Named it capture.wim).  Instead of picking the wim file that I had used in the previous boot image file creation wim file I gave it a location of C:\software\working\boot.wim.  This created a boot.wim file in the C:\software\working folder that I created.

I now had an install.wim image file and a capture.wim image file under the boot images folder on the WDS.

Built a WinXP SP2 machine from scratch, adn placed all software adn patches on it it was ready to be syspreped.  I used the same WINXP CD that I had used to create the machine with for the sysprep files.

Once syspreped and resealed

Once I had a machine ready to capture I PXE booted (F-12, got an IP, F-12 again to get to the boot menu, and was able to see the two boot files I had created, Install and capture.wim).

I chose the capture.wim boot image and it took me through capturing the image.  I also had the image copied up to the WDS server afterwards automatically.  All went well, and I can see my new WINXP image on the WDS server.  It's almost 10 gigs so I think I have a valid copy of the machine I was hoping to get.

Here is where I have run into problems...  I now have a valid Install.wim file, a capture.wim file and a WINXP.wim image file.

I boot a freash bare bones system with nioting on it doing the PXE F-12 shuffle, and get to the Install.wim/Capture.wim boot menu.

I chose to run the install as in my mind I'm thinking this will allow me to install the newly created image back down to the new machine.  However all I get is a capture screen.  Allowing me to yet again capture an image to the WDS server, which is not what I want to do.  I already have an image to deploy.

*All I have is the boot.wim file from a Vista CD.  I have the CD coming here today in full if there is something else I need from it?

*All I have is one image which is WINXP SP2, and am using the bootwim from the vista CD.  Is there something I'm missing?

Any assistance you can offer would be much appreciated.  I have found your name in many of the posts I have run across, and you seem to be the most straight forward in your approach of assistance, so I thought I'd try hitting you up first.

Everything seems to be working fine other than me not getting to a point where I can see the newly created WINXP image file to drop it on a fresh machine.

Why is my install boot image acting as if it was a capture image?  How do I get a valid boot image file so I can install the created image?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:30 PM
  • The boot.wim you got from the media CD is the correct one to add if you wish to install the OS.

Can you try adding the boot.wim again from the Vista CD?  That should get you to the image selection page eventually. Please note though - the WinXP wim is HAL-dependent, so it can only be deployed to machines with the same HAL type.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Ajay,

Can you point me in the right direction for reading up on this? 

the WinXP wim is HAL-dependent, so it can only be deployed to machines with the same HAL type 

I'm new to all of this.

This is the properties of the WINXP SP2 image I have loaded to the WDS...  acpiapic_mp  I've read about up and mp and sometimes that can be the issue, but have no clue where to go from here.  Thanks much...

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:13 PM
  • I loaded another boot image straight from the Vista DVD Boot.wim and left the name as it was and was able to get into the menu and see my WINXP SP2 image and am in the process of downloading it to a fresh machine now.  We'll see how it turns out.

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Looks like it is stuck at 1% extracting files.  It has been there for about 10 minutes.

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:35 PM