none
Shadow Copy... Setup and working on server... Issues with access from other servers/machines

Question

• I need to get shadow copy working for a mapped drive we have setup for everyone.  The server which we map the drive to is a Windows Server 2008 SP2 (32 bit)  file server.  It's a NTFS share also.  If I'm logged on the server, I can see the shadow copies from the "Shadow Copies" tab but I cannot see anything from the "previous versions" tab.  It says "there are no previous versions available" from this server and from any Windows 7, windows 2007, or Windows 2008 machine. 

What is weird though is I can see the information from a Windows 2003 machine if I access it from via the UNC.  It's all there and working perfect! It does not work from a windows 2003 machine though if I access it via the drive letter.  Again it says "there are no previous versions available."  Any help would be much appreciated.\

Regards

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

So the folder target is on Windows 2008 SP2. However Previous Version does not exist on the local server and all other systems except Windows 2003 with accessing via UNC.

On the Windows 2008 SP2 server, test the steps in this article:

"Folder versions" list is blank, or you receive a message on Windows Vista: "There are no previous versions available"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937862

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 01, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Thank you.  I actually saw that article too and confirmed already that we do have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" bound to the Local Area Connection.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that originally in my notes.

I did notice this too and I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning?  Is it ok to have both a D:\ and D$ in Computer Management?  Could that cause confusion

Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:39 PM