none
Is it OK to recreate a DHCP exclusion range during working hours?

Question

• I have two 2003 servers running DHCP.  I noticed IP conflicts on some workstations, and IPCONFIG /all revealed a second DHCP server which I did not know we had.  Looking at the Address Pool on both DHCP servers, I noticed they both have the same Address Pool range.

I want to keep both DHCP servers for redundancy, but create different Exclusion ranges on both so they do not overlap.  Some of the addresses already leased would be included in the Exclusion ranges.

Can I do this during working hours without creating a problem for users already logged on? 

Thanks much.

DDaleS
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:45 PM

Answers

• Yes you can modify the exclusion during working hours. Depending on the lease time, the computers will continue to use their current leased ip address until it expires, then they will get a new lease from the second DCHP server. If you want to force the process , delete the address lease from the Address Leases.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Marius.  I thought it would be OK to do so, but wanted to get another opinion.

Much appreciatied.

DDaleS
    • Marked as answer by DDaleS Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi DDales,

Thanks for your posting.

Firstly, I’d like to explain that exclusion range only preventing address conflicts between statically configured clients and dynamically configured clients. If multiple DHCP servers are configured with a scope that covers a range of the reserved IP addresses, the client reservation must be made and duplicated at each of the DHCP servers. Given this situation, for DHCP fault tolerance and availability, it’s recommended to use the split-scope to achieve your goal.

For detailed information about split-scope, please refer to the following article:

How to configure split-scope using wizard

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/01/22/how-to-configure-split-scope-using-wizard.aspx

Design Options for DHCP availability and Fault Tolerance: Split Scopes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd296651(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Yes you can modify the exclusion during working hours. Depending on the lease time, the computers will continue to use their current leased ip address until it expires, then they will get a new lease from the second DCHP server. If you want to force the process , delete the address lease from the Address Leases.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Marius.  I thought it would be OK to do so, but wanted to get another opinion.

Much appreciatied.

DDaleS
    • Marked as answer by DDaleS Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:48 PM