none
DFSR - Best Practice Questions [Replication Groups, Disks on Hub Servers etc]

Question

• Hi,

I know there are plenty of DFSR Best Practice Documents around, but none that I found have been able to answer some questions I have around the following:

• Is there a defined limit to how many Replication Groups should be placed on one particular volume on a Hub Server? (e.g. have only 10 Replication Groups per Drive)
    • Is there a defined limit on how many disks hosting Replication Groups should be placed on a DFSR Hub Server?
    • Is there a defined limit to how many Replication Groups should be placed on any on Hub Server at a given time? (Or would this more depend on the infra in place?

I'm just trying to understand in which scenarios i could/should either scale up or scale out the DFSR Backup infrastructure i currently manage.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Seems could be replied by this article:

DFS Replication: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(v=WS.10).aspx#BKMK_006

What are the supported limits of DFS Replication?

The following list provides a set of scalability guidelines that have been tested by Microsoft on Windows Server 2012 Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008:
    Size of all replicated files on a server: 10 terabytes.

Number of replicated files on a volume: 11 million.

Maximum file size: 64 gigabytes.

Note:

There is no longer a limit to the number of replication groups, replicated folders, connections, or replication group members.

And I did not find any limitation related to the number of disks. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Seems could be replied by this article:

DFS Replication: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(v=WS.10).aspx#BKMK_006

What are the supported limits of DFS Replication?

The following list provides a set of scalability guidelines that have been tested by Microsoft on Windows Server 2012 Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008:
    Size of all replicated files on a server: 10 terabytes.

Number of replicated files on a volume: 11 million.

Maximum file size: 64 gigabytes.

Note:

There is no longer a limit to the number of replication groups, replicated folders, connections, or replication group members.

And I did not find any limitation related to the number of disks. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Thanks very much Shaon!
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:15 AM