none
How do you remote manage the firewall?

Question

• In 2008 R2 you could remote manage the firewall rules in Server Manager. (The remote server is a core install.) I am unable to find that capability in Server 2012.  I just know it has to be in a menu or drop down somewhere. I just can't find it.

Can someone tell me where it is at?

Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just like the answer you got to your question about creating file shares...  Use server manager.  Add your core installation to the managed servers.  Then select the server and the firewall tool.

tim

Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

We can use Windows PowerShell or MMC Snap-in to remote mange Windows Firewall.

In addition, please ensure that the inbound firewall rules: Remote Services Management and Windows Firewall Remote Management are enabled in your remote server.

For more information, please refer to

Manage a Server Core Server

Configure Remote Management in Server Manager

Configuring the Firewall for Remote Management of a Workgroup Server Core installation

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by dga_1 Monday, December 24, 2012 4:21 PM
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Tim,

That doesn't work for me.  Maybe I am not doing this correctly

I go to "Server Manager > All Servers" and highlight the Server by clicking on it from the list of servers.  Then from "Tools" I select "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security".

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security opens but it is connected to the local computer.  It doesn't connect to the server I have selected.

I have been able to run MMC and add the snap in for the remote computer.  As Jeremy_Wu has suggested.

Monday, December 24, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Jeremy,

This works and thank you for answering.

I was just expecting to be able to right click the server in Server Manager and access the firewall.

Monday, December 24, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi dga_1,

You are welcome and glad be able to help you.

Happy Holidays!

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:01 AM