none
KMS Key Installation error - desperately need help

Question

• Hi all,

I have been desperately trying to install our "Win-7 KMS" key obtained from our company's VLC portal without any luck. Find below some details of the issue:

HOST: Windows Server 2008 R2 (MAK Activated)

Key: Win 7 - KMS

Error from slmgr:

On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F015' to display the error text.

Error text from Slui.exe

An error has occurred 
    You can also contact Microsoft by Phone to help resolve this problem. 
    Description: The software Licensing reported that the license is not installed.

Microsoft Phone Support

I have been attempting to get an answer out of VLC support however they bounced me from VLC support to Tech Support, back to VLC Support, then to VLC Email support (with screenshots apparently) and now back to Tech Support all with no straight answer..now 5 days and counting.

The only possible issue I can think of that may be causing this problem is the fact that the Host is MAK activated?

Any and all help very appreciated.
    • Edited by FSANZICT Monday, March 21, 2011 1:38 AM fixed grammar
    Monday, March 21, 2011 12:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Error code 0xC004F015 indicates that incorrect key is used to activate KMS Host. From the error description, it seems that you used a MAK key to activate the KMS host. To resolve it, please uninstall the MAK key and contact your company to get a KMS host key. If it is just a KMS client machine, you could install the KMS client setup key to convert the MAK client to a KMS client.

More reference:

How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista-based computers

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 21, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the response. It seems you are correct. The key is not supported for Windows Server, this turns out to be very unfortunate as this Open Volume License does not contain a KMS_B key.

I am waiting on a response from Proessional Services however it seems that the answer will be:

1. setup a Desktop computer
    2. Install the KMS Key
    3. Ensure it runs 24 hours a day in order to keep the desktop fleet Activated.

What a joke, this key should be able to be installed onto a Server that is actually designed to stay running.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Please run slmgr.vbs /dlv to display the product key information. KMS_B key should support Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. You could see the following link for details:

KMS Host Keys to Products Activated

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793422.aspx

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:26 AM