none
Roaming profiles do not delete files

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 Server. It provides roaming profiles for users of Windows XP clients. It almost works.

When a user logs out...

...files created on client PCs are created on the server

...files modified on client PCs are modified on the server

...but files deleted on client PCs are not deleted on the server (so when the user logs on again, the deleted file reappears).

I've tried experimenting with various settings of permissions, even granting everybody full control over the profiles share and subdirectories; but nothing works.

What's happening?

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Are all clients computer domain members? and have you linked any policies to these windows XP clients ? like folder redirect settings?

Is there any system prompt when logon and logoff ?

Also please make sure system time had been synchronized between clients and server.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by oz1cz Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, November 05, 2010 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Are all clients computer domain members? and have you linked any policies to these windows XP clients ? like folder redirect settings?

Also please make sure system time had been synchronized between clients and server.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by oz1cz Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, November 05, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Hi Tiger Li, Thank you for your reply.

Are all clients computer domain members?

Yes.

and have you linked any policies to these windows XP clients ? like folder redirect settings?

No.

No.

The times are less than 30 seconds apart.

Are the file operations performed during logout logged anywhere?

/Claus
    Friday, November 05, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

If create new and modify files were getting fine, and did appear after users logged off and logged back in, which meant that the profile is getting loaded from the server fine, so I think incorrect permissions to the users on their profile folders may cause this issue.

Please try the workaround below:

Logon profile container server host with administrator account and  give ownership to Administrators, and then give the user itself, SYSTEM and administrators full control on the profile folder, subfolders and files

Give ownership back to the user for its own profile

Logged in on a client machine with that user account, and deleted few unwanted files from the profile folder.

Logged off from that client machine, and checked that on the server if those files were deleted from user's profile.

Made the user login back on the client machine and check if the deleted files would re-appear.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi Tiger Li,

I am very embarrased! In your previous reply, you asked me to make sure that the system time had been synchronized between the client and the server. Well, as I said, the time was the same in the client and server ... but the date wasn't!

So in reality the server was 24 hours ahead of the client - same time, different date.

When I corrected this, the problem went away. A stupid mistake on my part. Thank you for your help!

/Claus
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi oz1cz,

Glad you find out and solve this issue !

You are welcome ,hope you will enjoy in our TechNet forum.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:20 AM