srvany.exe does not exist on w2k8 R2: how do I configure a windows Service with sc.exe

Question

• Hello

On a w2k3 server I have a service running with srvany.exe. The program runs with the AppEnvironment and AppDirectory parameters. I tried this with the sc.exe and failed.
    Definition for srvany
    Impage Path in Root of the service in regedit:
    ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ c:\program files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe
    DisplayName REG_SZ CompanyServer_Prod

Under the parameters folder for the service I have the following definitions:
    - AppDirectory  REG_SZ  y:\wwwservers\company.ch\server
    - AppEnvironment REG_MULTI_SZ ServerData_DIR= y:\wwwservers\company.ch\data SystemRoot=c:\windows ....
    - Application REG_SZ y:\wwwservers\company.ch\server\server.exe
    - AppParameters REG_SZ  -1y:\wwwservers\company.ch\log\serverexe.log -22 -30 -555

After I have tried with the sc.exe command, the registry was defined, but the programm didn't start, because of missing parameters. I have tried following command:
    sc create CompanyServer_Prod start= auto binpath= "y:\wwwservers\company.ch\server\server.exe -1y:\wwwservers\company.ch\log\serverexe.log -22 -30 -555" DisplayName= "Company Server Prod"

Do you have any suggestion, how I can do this on a W2K8 R2 server?

The  workaround: Copy the srvany.exe command on the w2k8 r2 server and it works as before on a w2k3. But I think, there are some reason that microsoft don't deploy the srvany.exe anymore.

Thanks for your help in advance
    Best regards
    Ritzo

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Ritzo,

AFAIK, there is no formal version of srvany.exe which gets shipped along with the reskit of windows 2008 / windows 2008 R2.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Ritzo,

AFAIK, there is no formal version of srvany.exe which gets shipped along with the reskit of windows 2008 / windows 2008 R2.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hello Sainath

Thanks for your answer.
    Do you have any idea what is the successor of srvany in w2k8 R2?

Best regards
    Moritz
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Hi Ritzo,

Not that i am aware of, i have raised this to microsoft and would post back with the answer from microsoft
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:13 PM