none
Folder Redirection does not work in Windows 7

Question

• My server is running Windows Server 2008 Standard (x86), I have Group Policy Folder Redirection enabled for user profile folders set to redirect to \\(the name of the server)\%username%\(the name of the folder e.g. desktop)\\ this works fine on my Windows XP Professional SP 3 (32 bit), however when I run Windows 7 Professional SP 1 (x86) the folder redirection does not work.

Can anyone help?

Thank you
    Aaron McHale
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please upload the log files as I required for our further research?

In addition, please uncheck the "grant the user exclusive rights to my documents" checkbox on the Settings page of the Properties of the Group Policy and check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.     What related event error can you read in Event Viewer?

2.     Do you have the issue with the same domain users that you use on Windows XP?

3.     Would you please describe how did you configure and link the GPO in detail so that I can try to reproduce and analyze the issue?

For more information regarding Folder Redirection, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Folder Redirection Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275.aspx

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=d3a605e7-71c0-4420-ad9c-2000bc12c1ab

Password: 6bEocq2RUQIc-pd+

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Collect GPMC log

==============

1.     On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

2.     Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3.     Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Collect gpresult output

==============

1.     Run the command gpresult /v >C:\gpresult.txt.

2.     Upload the C:\gpresult.txt to the above link.

Collect Gpsvc.log

==============

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

After the issue reoccurs, find and upload %windir%\Debug\UserMode\Gpsvc.log file.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Thank you for your detailed answer and your help with this problem.

This issue does not occur on Windows XP machines.

At the point when I noticed this issue (when I first logged on to the Windows 7 Virtual PC that I am testing) the folder redirection was configured in the Default Domain Policy, the Default Domain Policy is linked with a linking order of 1.  Yesterday two new policy objects were added called Personal Computers and Shared Computers, one of their tasks was to manage folder redirection.  The Personal Computers policy object only applies to computers such as laptops that may move outside the network, therefore folder redirection is set to the users local profile, this policy object is linked with the order of 2.  The Shared Computers policy object is applied to all users, however has a linking order of 3, the Personal Computers policy should take preference if applied, this policy specifies folder redirection to \\(server name)\%username%\(folder e.g. Desktop).  All the folders are stored on a FAT32 file system with the %username% being a share with appropriate permissions.

Unfortunately when I try to run the wizard on the computer (domain)\(computer name) I recieve an error message saying that the RPC server is unavailable.

Any help?

Thank you
    Aaron McHale

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Under the Settings Tab there is a "Also apply redirection policy to Windows XP...." and this needs to be ticked in order for it to work.

I think the problem is from the fact that if you want the Windows 7 redirection to work with XP, you should have \\server\share\%username% and not \\server\%username%.

" Never panic before reboot ! "
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:09 PM
  • As I said in the title and above it's Windows 7 that I am having the problem with, not Windows XP.  Although from what you, I tried changing the redirection for Desktop to \\servername\username\Desktop, however that did not work.

Thanks
    Aaron McHale

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please upload the log files as I required for our further research?

In addition, please uncheck the "grant the user exclusive rights to my documents" checkbox on the Settings page of the Properties of the Group Policy and check the result.

Regards,

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Sorry about the delay in replaying.

I can't seem to find the registry key that you reffered to above, to modify to get the results.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Aaron

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Update, I have installed Windows 7 as another Virtual Machine, on a different computer and the same problem is occuring.

I now think that it is something to do with the server.  Any ideas?

Thanks
    Aaron

Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Hey Aaron,

Have you received any answer of found any answer on this? I'm having the same kind of issue on our Virtual Machines and Physical Machines.

We have teachers who's folders are being redirected correctly on Win XP and 7 with no Errors in the logs or with GPR.

Students Have their Folders redirected the same way in GPO and work Perfectly on Win XP, but on Win 7 There is no Folder Redirection. In the GPR it claims that the Folder Redirection is working Perfectly and there are no errors, but No Folder Redirection has been done at all. I double checked the GPO's and followed them individually and everything is fine on XP but Gives no clue as to why it fails on Win 7.

Our Students are Restricted from the Command Prompt and the HDD is hidden from them (No Access to C:\ on some) but their folders are still not redirecting like they should. The Home Drive works Perfectly fine From AD on XP and 7. I'm Starting to wonder if this is something that happened since the enactment of SP1 on Win 7.

Any Ideas?

D

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi all,I am having smae type issues. 

In environments with 15 users each, some locatins have Windows 2003 servers and some have Windows 2008r2 servers.  We have used XP Pro workstations for years.  Users do not use roaming profiles they work at one and only one computer per user.  We have their Hoime Folder under theri user propertie sin AD going to 

server\share\users\username\

so user name jsmith sees his documents etc under

h:\jsmith\mydocuments

and when users who are all allowed to see each othesr folders (mostly)  look at the F drive they see

F:\users\jsmith\

etc for each AD user.

problem is with WIndows 7 computer now when the user goes to his or her H drive they do see their documents etc under

H:\jsmith

but whent hey look at the F drive they see several folders (one for each user who now has Windows 7 workstation)

F:\users\my documents

so where we have 15 users with 5 of them havingWindows 7 now  there are 10 folders that are of format

F:\users\username

and 5 folders that are of format

F:\users\my documents

Sowhen a boss or i look at the F:\users folders we have not idea which of the  Windows 7 users which F:\users\my documents  is???

I have some feed back that it is related to how Windows 7  save the My Documents under Libraries and also unda a "Documents" folder.

This is such a PIA for smal little networks like we have.  I don'tthink this is rocket science neediing log files and all kindsof analysis there should be some simple answere for my particyular issue if theright Microsoft brainsees this.

how you gusy doing with your issuesand any idea onthis??

thanks

this is where thier My Dcouments have bee redirected for years with XP Pro computer they use.  name that we have repelacing workstations with new ones with Windows 7 Pro we end up

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:23 AM