none
Remove dead Domain Controller

Question

• I had 3 DC's. Two in my main offices and another one in a branch office. The DC in my branch office completely broke down and died on me, had no backup. I want to remove this DC from the branch office Site and Active Directory, so that I can reconfigure a new Windows Server 2003 DC, with the same server name, and ship it back to my branch office and keep it all as if nothing had happened.

Using: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This may be of some help,

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:23 PM
  • That is correct.  The link that Mike Burr provided (if you follow) will remove the references to the "dead" DC.  Once AD syncronizes after the removal, you will be able to bring up a new DC with the exact same name.  I have done this personally many times.  The key is to make sure that AD is sync'd up before you try to bring up a DC with the same name.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This may be of some help,

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:23 PM
  • In essence, I just need to remove this dead  DC's metadata? With this I am assured that the past DC will be deleted and that I can add another DC with the same name?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:32 PM
  • That is correct.  The link that Mike Burr provided (if you follow) will remove the references to the "dead" DC.  Once AD syncronizes after the removal, you will be able to bring up a new DC with the exact same name.  I have done this personally many times.  The key is to make sure that AD is sync'd up before you try to bring up a DC with the same name.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:40 PM