none
REMOTE DESKTOP GATEWAY and MAC OSX

Question

• I was just wondering about the following implementation and wanted some incite before I tried.  In theory its feasable.  I have successfully deployed RD Gateway and RDS farm and all is working.  ALL WINDOWS RDP Clients provided that the client supports TS Gateway configuration the like can be said for all other platforms that uses compatible clients like iTAP for IOS or android platforms.  With all the minor details set aside etc...  I was thinking of setting up another R2 server.  With this box, my intention is to have users RDP users, more specifically MAC users using 2.1 RDP client, type in a fqdn of that server, once authenticated that user will already be configured to automatically run mstsc.exe "point to saved RDP file that points to TS GATEWAY"  Which in turn i believe after one more authentication would now redirect RDP traffic over 443 into my RDS farm.

How feasible is this?  Thoughts or just dreaming.

Thanks

• Edited by Burbo Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:37 PM
    • Changed type TP []MVP, Moderator Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:58 PM Question
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Running a Remote Desktop session within an existing Remote Desktop session (aka double-hop) is unsupported.  You may do this, however, please note that performance will be slower and if you have any problems Microsoft CSS may not provide you assistance.

Keeping in mind what I have noted above it can be useful when necessary to run Remote Desktop within an existing session.  It is usually best (performance/features/support) to connect to the server using RD/TS Gateway and/or direct.

-TP

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Running a Remote Desktop session within an existing Remote Desktop session (aka double-hop) is unsupported.  You may do this, however, please note that performance will be slower and if you have any problems Microsoft CSS may not provide you assistance.

Keeping in mind what I have noted above it can be useful when necessary to run Remote Desktop within an existing session.  It is usually best (performance/features/support) to connect to the server using RD/TS Gateway and/or direct.

-TP

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Hi,  thanks for your response.  I will add that the double hop is unconventional given what alternative resources are available and there are 3rd party solutions to achieve the same end result.  Given what resources I have available, I believe that with the proper KEY pieces in place SECURITY and all, we can achieve a viable solution.  I will update any findings. 
    • Edited by Burbo Friday, April 06, 2012 1:08 AM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Hi Burbo,

Did you find your viable solution? I am looking for one as well.

thanks

Monday, August 26, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi. I am seeking to use Remote Web Access (RWA) to Windows PC's on an SBS 2011 Server domain. I want to connect to RDP from the "Connect" button when logged into the RWA web page from a remote location on a Mac.

I have tried many things, but I can't seem to find anything that appears to be compatible with this Microsoft technology for a Mac.

The closest I have come to getting ths to work on a Mac is with a program called iTap. But that still needed some TLC to get even close. I could not get it to work when clicking on the link button, I had to configure it manually.

I have tired this "manual" setup with iTap on about 7 Macs now, some running 10.7 and some 10.8 OSX, and I have got to work on only one of them. Another one works, but it wont authenticate into Windows unless I hit cancell on the first Windows screeen and then select Swtich USer and reenter the credentials.

If anyone knows how to make a Mac work with RWA I would appreciate your comments to set me on the right path. I have put this in my "too hard" basket for now and am selling normal laptops to my Mac users instead.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:12 AM