none
File Server Resource Manager - Unable to connect to FSRM

Question

• We have a number of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard edition SP1 file servers in our domain. I'm having an issue with just one of them. After installing the File Server Resource Manager Tools and then rebooting, when I launch the application from the server directly, I get the following error.

Unable to connect to FRSM on computer \\server1. This can happen if the remote computer does not have the Windows Server 2008 or later version of FSRM installed, or if a connection cannot be established because it was blocked by Windows Firewall.

Choose 'Connect to another computer' to manage a different computer running Windows Server 2008 or later.

I have compared this server with the others, the main issue that I can see is that the File Server Resource Manager service is not getting installed and does not appear in the list of services, but the application is added the the Administrative Tools list on the server that is experiencing the issue. If I try and start the service from the command line:

net start SrmSvc

I get - The service name is invalid.

All file servers are in the same OU and get exactly the same group policies. I have checked the Antivirus logs for McAfee and there is nothing being blocked, the same for the Windows Firewall log. I have check the Windows Eventlogs and there is no failures/warnings listed for this feature in the Application, Security or System logs.

I have tried removing the File Server Resource Manager from the added Features on the server and rebooting and then re-adding the feature, same result, the service is not installed/listed and I get the same error when I try to launch the application directly from the server itself.

I'm also unable to connect to any of the other servers that that the FSRM service installed from this server that has the error.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Uninstall the FSRM.

Reintall FSRM -->  During re-installation choose FSRM in the Role Services under File Service role group.

This will solve your problem.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Uninstall the FSRM.

Reintall FSRM -->  During re-installation choose FSRM in the Role Services under File Service role group.

This will solve your problem.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:35 AM
  • I must have been having a real bad day that day....
    Monday, August 08, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hello,

After much searching for the answer, I had to install the File Server Resource Manager Service within Roles.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:59 PM