none
Cannot run RD Session Host on 2012

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller that has RDS installed and configured and it works.  No Session Host on that server.

I have a new Windows 2012 Server that evidently requires Session Host to be installed in order to specify a licensing mode so that RDP works.  I am shortly running out of grace period and I cannot get Session Host configured!

I installed it - in Server Manager it shows that it is running on my 2012 machine and it's hyper-v machine.  But I cannot access it!  There is not program listed in Administrative Tools/RDS menu; can't run it from Server Manager.  Even tried going thru Group Policy for the Domain on the 2008 R2 server to set it up per a forum answer I saw but the group policy entries were not there.

Why is this so challenging!?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any related log in Event Viewer? Can you configure RD licensing service in Server Manager? If yes, please install Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses first.

If you have already done that but still cannot configure RD Session Host, I suggest  you reinstall the RD Session Host Role service for testing.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833839/en-us

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:51 AM