Event logs Error upon Opening - The specified Channel could not be found. Check channel configuration (15007)
Currently experiencing a problem with one of our Server 2008 SP1 Boxes (Not R2)
When opening the Setup Eventlog through Event Viewer an Error of "Event Viewer cannot open the Event Log or custom view. Verify the Event Log Service is running. The specified channel could not be found. Check channel configuration (15007)"
This same error is also presented for other logs (ie event logs associated with Task Manager). When checking the properties of the log, the log path cannot be enter and lists as Not Available so it cannot be pointed to the assocaited evtx file. The evtx files can still be opened manually perfectly fine. Logs are obviously unable to be cleared.
Has anyone seen this behavour before?
I'm assuming by this time you found the answer to this as it's a pretty old thread, but for the benefit of others out there with the same problem, here is a potential solution.
The problem is most likely with the Custom View itself, rather than the event log it's referencing. I have an SBS 2011 Standard box running Exchange with Sharepoint and a few others. The Custom View "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events" was tossing the error you describe above.
The Step By Step Fix:
- Right click-->Properties on the Custom View that's giving you the error.
- Copy the Name and Description values into a text editor
- Click on Edit Filter - >XML Tab
- Copy and paste the XML in the filter into the text editor
- Cancel out of the Custom View's Property Panel
- Right Click again on the Custom View that's giving the error
- Delete the Custom View
- Right Click on the Top Level "Custom View" node in the Event Viewer Tree
- Select Create Custom View
- Click on the XML Tab and check the "Edit Query Manually" box (bottom Left)
- Paste the XML into the Textarea. For "Microsoft Exchange with Database Availability Group Events" the query should look like:
<Query Id="0" Path="Application">
- Click "OK" after pasting the XML
- Copy the Name and Description values from your text editor into the Save Custom View dialoge box, and click "OK"
Close the Event Viewer and Reopen, or do a top level refresh, and see if this resolved your issue "The specified channel could not be found. Check channel configuration "
ANY SOLUTION OFFERED is AS IS and WITHOUT WARRANTY.