none
steps to create a PXE boot for WinPE2.0

Question

• I am trying to figure out how to go about getting a client to PXE boot into winPE2.0.
    I have WDS set up and it is running in mixed mode (for now). I have the WAIK installed.
    I want to ultimately deploy a WIN XP sp2 image in .wim format.
    the problem that I have is that I dont understand how to create the winpe20 boot image so that when I PXE boot to the WDS PXE server, i am able to "capture" the image of the model XP machine.
    I have the model XP machine created and ready to go (have not syspreped yet, will do that just before i try the capture).

can anyone provide "laymen" steps to follow to create a winPE2.0 boot image for PXE booting and for image capture and then for the actual XP deployment?

Thanks!
    VT
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:18 AM

Answers

• For doing WDS deployments, you need the WDS client. This will mean you need the media for Windows Vista which ships with a boot.wim containing the WDS client in the 'sources' folder on the media. Using this boot.wim on your server, you can create a capture image and capture the XP image from your reference computer to deploy on your other client machines.

For deploying Windows using WinPE 2.0, the best way would be use a WinPE along with ImageX. However, for capturing a sysprepped image and deploying it via WDS, you'd still need the WDS client (which is part of Windows Vista)

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:01 AM

All replies

• For doing WDS deployments, you need the WDS client. This will mean you need the media for Windows Vista which ships with a boot.wim containing the WDS client in the 'sources' folder on the media. Using this boot.wim on your server, you can create a capture image and capture the XP image from your reference computer to deploy on your other client machines.

For deploying Windows using WinPE 2.0, the best way would be use a WinPE along with ImageX. However, for capturing a sysprepped image and deploying it via WDS, you'd still need the WDS client (which is part of Windows Vista)

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:01 AM
  • You could also download the Server 2008 Beta 3 free and use the boot.wim file on there.  Import that into boot images, that makes your deploy boot image. Then Right click on it and choose capture to make a capture image too, and import that one..
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Hi

I am also feeling the same issue.
    I am supposed to install the Windows Server 2008, configure the WDS and then create PXE boot image. I am confused with this CREATE PXE BOOT Image, is this similar to configure the windows server in such a way that clents can sence the server on pressing F12 ... or i am thinking worong ? In any case please let me know how to do so.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:47 PM