none
WSD Discovery Method

Question

• As I browse our Win2008 Server based LAN [Domain or Workgroup] using WinExplorer\Network, I see a column named Discovery Method.

The discovery method is stated as WSD.

What is WSD discovery method?
    Is there any other method of discovery that can be used?
    How does the Discovery method matter? Can it be altered?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that WSD (Web Services Dynamic Discovery) is a technical specification that defines a multicast discovery protocol to locate services on a local network.

In Windows Server 2008, FDP (Function Discovery providers) uses various providers to enumerate discoverable resources. The built-in providers are NetBIOS, PnP, Registry, SSDP, WCN and WSD.

Provider

Description

NetBIOS provider

The NetBIOS provider enumerates NetBIOS discoverable devices using the WNet functions.

Plug and Play (PnP) provider

The PnP provider constructs a function instance for each functional device object (FDO) installed on the system. The PnP provider also discovers network connected devices (NCD) that have been associated with the system through the PnP-X architecture.

Registry provider

The registry provider persists function instances based on resources registered through the system registry.

SSDP provider

The Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) provider provides Function Discovery with information regarding the presence of SSDP devices on the network. The SSDP provider discovers devices on the local subnet and, optionally, any other discoverable devices or local network resources.

WS-Discovery (WSD) provider

The Function Discovery WS-Discovery provider provides Function Discovery with information regarding the presence of Web services devices on the network. The WS-Discovery provider discovers devices across subnets.

WCN provider

The Windows Connect Now provider.

Please understand that each of these providers runs as a service. In order to stop each from registering with FDP as a provider, the service must be stopped; however, the registry cannot be stopped. In this way, we could alter the Discovery Method by disabling the unwanted ones.

In this case, I don’t recommend manually disabling these services since it may cause other potential network issue.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by CosmicStorm Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that WSD (Web Services Dynamic Discovery) is a technical specification that defines a multicast discovery protocol to locate services on a local network.

In Windows Server 2008, FDP (Function Discovery providers) uses various providers to enumerate discoverable resources. The built-in providers are NetBIOS, PnP, Registry, SSDP, WCN and WSD.

Provider

Description

NetBIOS provider

The NetBIOS provider enumerates NetBIOS discoverable devices using the WNet functions.

Plug and Play (PnP) provider

The PnP provider constructs a function instance for each functional device object (FDO) installed on the system. The PnP provider also discovers network connected devices (NCD) that have been associated with the system through the PnP-X architecture.

Registry provider

The registry provider persists function instances based on resources registered through the system registry.

SSDP provider

The Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) provider provides Function Discovery with information regarding the presence of SSDP devices on the network. The SSDP provider discovers devices on the local subnet and, optionally, any other discoverable devices or local network resources.

WS-Discovery (WSD) provider

The Function Discovery WS-Discovery provider provides Function Discovery with information regarding the presence of Web services devices on the network. The WS-Discovery provider discovers devices across subnets.

WCN provider

The Windows Connect Now provider.

Please understand that each of these providers runs as a service. In order to stop each from registering with FDP as a provider, the service must be stopped; however, the registry cannot be stopped. In this way, we could alter the Discovery Method by disabling the unwanted ones.

In this case, I don’t recommend manually disabling these services since it may cause other potential network issue.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by CosmicStorm Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Great !!!

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi CosmicStorm,

I am glad to hear that the information was helpful to you.

Hope you will enjoy our TechNet Forum.

Many Thanks,

Miles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:05 AM
  • u can set wsd to 0 in registry/parameters,this disables discovery maybe?easy to put back as well if it is
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:22 AM
  • "Please understand that each of these providers runs as a service"

Can't see a service called WS-Discovery.  Or WSD.  Which service is it?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:13 PM
  • I believe it's the  Function Discovery service.  Looks like there is two.  I'm pretty sure it's the first one.

C:\>sc query|findstr /i discovery
    DISPLAY_NAME: Function Discovery Provider Host
    DISPLAY_NAME: Function Discovery Resource Publication

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:46 PM
  • That's the entire function discovery for all the providers, I'm talking about WSD alone.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:40 PM