none
A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

Question

•  

I downloaded and burned a the DVD for Windows Server 2008 Datacenter, Enterprise and Standard without Hyper-V (x64) - DVD (English). (from MSDN Subscriptions)

The comptuer boots to it (no other OS installed) and begins the installation.  The installation will prompt for a DVD Driver.

The message is "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.  Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"

There isn’t a special driver.  Another computer running Server 2008 has the same device and is using a Microsoft signed driver.

The Drive is a Samsung SH-S202N DVD Writer.

Samsung doesn't have any driver available for download, probably because it is natively supported by Windows.

Another Windows 2008 Server using the same device shows it is using cdrom.sys provided by Microsoft, Driver Date 6/21/2006, Driver Version 6.0.6001.18000

I don't have a floppy or USB flash.  I can burn files to a CD or DVD however.

How can I continue the installation?

I have seen some other threads relating to setting up with VMware but I’m just installing on basic hardware.  Also I havn’t seen any solutions.

Friday, December 12, 2008 5:40 PM

Answers

•  

My Solution:

My BIOS displayed a couple boot devices I didn’t have, including a FDD and a CDROM (other than my DVD).  I removed those from the boot order.

Also my ASUS MB seems to default having the PATA set to RAID mode (shared with 2 SATA ports).  I set this to Legacy mode.

Then installation was able to continue.

• Marked as answer by Shawn Sabbini Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:55 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

•  

My Solution:

My BIOS displayed a couple boot devices I didn’t have, including a FDD and a CDROM (other than my DVD).  I removed those from the boot order.

Also my ASUS MB seems to default having the PATA set to RAID mode (shared with 2 SATA ports).  I set this to Legacy mode.

Then installation was able to continue.

• Marked as answer by Shawn Sabbini Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:55 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Hi Shawn,
         If you have not already solved the issue, you need to download the driver package for the motherboard.  This will allow Windows to access the SATA drives and will get you past this message.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:43 PM
  • I inserted my MB utility CD and still that same message.
    Any further advice. Will download from the net my MB driver package and see if its any different than the CD I got with the Gigabyte MB.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 1:21 AM
  • I ran into this same issue installing Windows 2008 Server to an HP p6142p Desktop Machine (using it as a test machine). After researching for a while, I stumbled upon a solution on one of the the Vista Forums. I had to go into the BIOS (F10 on this machine and most Compaq and HP systems) and change the SATA controller from RAID to AHCI. After making this change, I was able to install Windows 2008 Server to this machine. WARNING: If you actually have a RAID Array configured, this will destroy the array...be very careful. I only have a single HD in this machine, so I did not experience an issue.

I hope this helps at least some of you having this issue....

Best Regards,
    Greg

• Proposed as answer by Claysdna Friday, March 26, 2010 10:25 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:06 AM
  • Thank you Gregpio. That was the solution for my problem. Once I changed the controller from RAID to AHCI it found my drives. I figured it had to be something besides a driver for the particular CD/DVD installed as they are pretty generic. It has been nearly 10 years since I have really needed a particular driver for a CD drive. I actually thought of changing the controller from RAID since I was not using any RAID features but had left it on in the off chance I installed another drive.

Thank you very much! It took me at least ten hours of my time trying to find drivers for ever device I had before I ran across your post. You are my new hero. :-)

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:28 PM
  • This isnt good and maybe doesnt apply to me. I have always used RAID disks and my PC is very fast because of it. I have installed Windows 2008 Server x64 on VMWare Wk 6.5.3 but I cant install Windows 2008 R2 ??

With R2 I am getting the same driver error. Its not the iso.

I'm really hoping its nothing to do with RAID - I dont expect that it is because R2 isnt that different to normal Windows 2008 ? I have all the latest drivers for my motherboard and it supports x64 and VT. I am using Windows 7 x64 as the guest.

Blowing away my RAID is going to be the biggest pain - in theory I could ghost my backup image back to a single disk but its risky and what if losing the RAID doesnt fix the issue ? It works with normal Windows 2008

??

Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I had the same problem with an HP ML110 G6 running RAID 1 and this solved it:-   (I got this from HP tech support)

1.      Download the Easy Setup image version : 2.30 (b) from HP Web site.

2.      Extract the image (580134-024.iso).

3.      Go to the location: 580134-024.iso\compaq\drivers\w2008x64\hpahcisr .

4.      Now three files will be seen:

1.      hpahcisr.cat

2.      hpahcisr.inf

3.      hpahcisr.sys

5.      Extract these three files to a folder hpahcisr on the computer (Create a folder with the name hpahcisr ).

6.      Move the hpahcisr driver files to the USB flash drive and make sure there is a USB flash drive which is of 2GB capacity.

7.      Once the files are extracted, browse into the flash drive and make sure a folder is seen with the name hpahcisr and includes three files i.e.

1.      hpahcisr.cat

2.      hpahcisr.inf

3.      hpahcisr.sys

8.      Now, restart the server with the OS disk and boot the server into the OS disk. In the meantime connect the flash drive which has the hpahcisr folder to the server.

Friday, December 10, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

i have the same problem and i followed the brucegeskinner1 steps, but it is giving some other error "no new device found could be found, make sure the drivers ........".

i totally upset with HP not giving solutions, please help me to come out this situation.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:38 AM
  • I had this same problem with a DL380 G6 server.  I downloaded the iso for the smart start cd (smartstart-8.60-0-x64.zip) for my server from the HP site and followed (pretty much) the instructions above and was able to complete the installation.

Thanks for posting the solution brucegskinner1!

Monday, December 27, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Suggest that you take the simplest route to getting this solution to work.

Forget using a DVD of any kind and stick with USB. I followed all of the steps here including changing the SATA mode, loading drivers and updating firmware on the DVD drive. I even tried booting to external USB 2.0 DVD disk and even that did not work!

Finally just used a 4G USB flash disk, formatted as FAT32 and bootable, then copied the contents of the Windows 2008 R2 DVD to the disk. Was able to boot using USB and install Windows 2008 Server no problem since the DVD and disk controller were no longer part of the equation.

This is post that finally made sense and got my problem fixed:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/1c6731a0-8ec9-4001-aba5-cc870d7b27e9

http://blogs.technet.com/b/aviraj/archive/2009/02/01/installing-windows-7-using-usb-thumb-drive.aspx
    Friday, February 04, 2011 6:00 PM