none
Unable to remove a GPO deployed printer from client machines

Question

• We are upgrading our "office server" which also shares as a print server from Windows Server 2003 R2  to  Windows Server 2008 R2.

To test the migration process we decided to migrate one printer for now and see how it goes on.  Although the migration was succesfull, we are unable to remove the old printer connection from the old server.

The old printer was originally deployed using a site policy under user config > Policies > Windows Settings > Printer Connections.  When we came to migrate the printer we used the print manager on the W2k8 Server and exported the config/drivers/port and imported them on the new server, we then deleted the printer conenction in the gpo so it would be removed from the printers control panel on users machines and deleted the port, printer and share off the old server.

Deployed the printer on the new server using the print mangement on win2k8 (this is great!) and users started receiving the deployment - Great!  However, the old server is now offline, but all users have got a greyed out printer with a Yellow exclamation mark pointing to an old printer on the old server, however we don't have any gpo's anywhere deploying this and it's not present within the site policy nor can the port or printer be removed (access is denied).  This printer doesnt appear in the registry either when browsing the current control set.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Robbie Jackson

Robbie
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:56 AM

All replies

• I can Confirm that we are also seeing this error of a printer being deployed which shouldnt be.

We are also unable to remove the phantom printer. It says that even the domain admin or local admin user doesnt have enough priveledge to remove the printer. We are deploying to a mixture of x86, x64 windows 7 machines through GP using the printer deployment tool.

I can add to this though that on XP machines we get the printer deployed but it can be removed.

Thanks

Heero

"The people that we care about are everything we are" - HalfLight
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:20 PM
  •  

I noticed that if a user had not logged onto to the machine before (not created a local profile) then the print policy would work fine and not add the old printers.

So we used DELPROF.exe (in a batch) to delete the local profiles on the machine on startup, this has done the trick but i would test beforehand.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:36 AM