none
Failed to import the virtual machine

Question

• Windows 2008 release and Hyper-V RC1. Domain enviroment.

I can export VM but I cannot import it to other server. I can't even import it back to same server!

[Main Instruction]
    A server error occurred while attempting to import the virtual machine.

Failed to import the virtual machine from import directory 'C:\vm\!_IBMDirector\'.

[Expanded Information]
    Failed to import the virtual machine from import directory 'C:\vm\!_IBMDirector\'. Error: One or more arguments are invalid(0x80070057)

I can create new virtual machine and use VHD, but why import doesn't work?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:59 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

According to these error messages, I think the root cause could probably be the network settings.

Would you please try the following methods and then see how it goes?

1.    Remove all the existing Virtual Networks using the Virtual Network Manager. Then recreate them one-by-one.

2.    Recreate a VM with the existing .vhd file and configure the Network Adapter to use the newly created network.

3.    Check whether the Integrated Service has been updated. Take a look at the Device Manager and see if any device doesn't have the proper driver. Also, check if you can use the Virtual Network from within the VM.

4.    Export and import the VM and see how it goes.

Besides, if possible, please take a look at the Registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VMSMP\Parameters\SwitchList", see if the GUID matches the value found in the .exp file. This key stands for the Virtual Network (virtual switch).

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 1:58 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Kieran Walsh said:

I don't understand this step that you mentioned:

"2.    Recreate a VM with the existing .vhd file and configure the Network Adapter to use the newly created network."
    Is that different to a simple import? If so, how do I do this?

You just create New Virtual machine, but this will not create new hard disk, but you use existing disk file (.VHD).

Virtual machine = hard disk (.VHD) + configuration file.

So you create new configuration file.
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

May I know how did you export and import your virtual machine? Does this happen on all the virtual machines if you have more than one? Would you please try exporting another virtual machine to a different drive and see how it goes? If possible, please also try rebooting the whole server and see if the error remains.

Please check which files and folds exist under the path you exported to. Additionally, please check the {GUID}.exp file, as this "Error: One or more arguments are invalid(0x80070057)" message may occur when the {GUID}.exp file is corrupted. You can rename this file to .xml extension and open it with IE. See if any unusual messages exist.

Besides, please also take a look at the Event Viewer, under the "Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Hyper-V-VMMS\Admin" party, see if any related error messages exist there (at the time that you encountered the error).

Additionally, there are two points that you should pay attention to, as they may lead to an import failure:

1.    If you exported a virtual machine from RC0, you cannot import it to RC1.

2.    If you are moving between different hardware, you may need to go in point the NICs to the appropriate hardware on the new host.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:58 AM
  •  Can you try renaming the VM and not have it start with !_ ?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:13 PM
    Owner
  • VM name doesn't matter. No VM will import back after export.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I export and import using Hyper-V Manager.
    This happen on all virtual machines.
    No matter where I export it, same disk, different disk, different server\share (export to network share works fine)
    Rebooting host server doesn't help.

Export folder was empty, after export there are usual folders and files.
    I don't have any snapshots.
    .exp file looks normal for me.

Event Viewer: event ID: 18320 Import failed to configure network connection for network card '{ResourceType=10, OtherResourceType="<null>", ResourceSubType="Microsoft Synthetic Ethernet Port"}'. You must modify the connection of all affected network adapters to be able to run the virtual machine. If you imported snapshots and apply any of those snapshots after modifying the connection, you must modify the connection again to be able to run the virtual machine.

I removed network card and export VM again. Import doesn't work.

I recreated VM using  existing .vhd - without network card export-import works without errors or warnings.

With network card i received warning:  Importing the virtual machine succeeded but with the following warning.
    Import completed with warnings. Please check the Admin events in the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service event log for more information.
    (actually, it's Error): Event ID 18250 Import completed with warnings. Please check the Admin events in the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service event log for more information.
    But there are no additional information in events.

Import works now, but I lose network adapter information (after import VM will be "connected to: none")

OK, all my VM are created with RC0 and upgraded to RC1 (new integration services installed). Maybe this is the problem.

So I have to re-create all VM-s again (using existing VHD-s) and then I can export-import. But what about networking?
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:30 PM
  •  

Hello,

According to these error messages, I think the root cause could probably be the network settings.

Would you please try the following methods and then see how it goes?

1.    Remove all the existing Virtual Networks using the Virtual Network Manager. Then recreate them one-by-one.

2.    Recreate a VM with the existing .vhd file and configure the Network Adapter to use the newly created network.

3.    Check whether the Integrated Service has been updated. Take a look at the Device Manager and see if any device doesn't have the proper driver. Also, check if you can use the Virtual Network from within the VM.

4.    Export and import the VM and see how it goes.

Besides, if possible, please take a look at the Registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VMSMP\Parameters\SwitchList", see if the GUID matches the value found in the .exp file. This key stands for the Virtual Network (virtual switch).

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 1:58 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2008 11:40 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem and error code trying to import all 3 of my virtual machines.

To rule out the network card, I removed the network settings from the machines and re-exported them, but I still get the same error. Both hosts have the same version of hyper-v (RC1)

"2.    Recreate a VM with the existing .vhd file and configure the Network Adapter to use the newly created network."

Thanks
    Kieran

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:28 AM
  • Kieran Walsh said:

You just create New Virtual machine, but this will not create new hard disk, but you use existing disk file (.VHD).

Virtual machine = hard disk (.VHD) + configuration file.

So you create new configuration file.
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  We are experiencing this exact same scenario with Hyper-V RTM.  So far, we have tried exporting two different virtual machines, and both fail with the same errors when importing. 

The only thing I should add is that in our scenario, both of the virtual machines were created via a physical to virtual conversion using the latest SCVMM beta.

Any other thoughts on work-arounds or fixes for this??
    Friday, July 18, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Good evening,

I have the same problem. My scenario is a little bit different but not so much. I have 2 physical server (HOST1 and HOST2). Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Core is installed on both server with Hyper-v Role enabled. The hardware is the same on this 2 server, as the same is disk size and partition and directory structure. Actually there are only DAS on both server C drive with core OS and E drive with VM and VMHD dir. Now with management console I'm able to connect to both Server and I can create VM. For test purpose, I create a VM called TEST2008 in the HOST1 and I configure it with a Windows Server 2008 standard, all is ok lan is ok, the machine did the windows update .. all ok.
    Now I want to move this machine to HOST2. I export the machine in a new empty dir (I give it e:\EXP-VM and it create e:\exp-vm\test2008 with subdir and files).
    Then I copy all the file and subdir from HOST1 to the same dir on HOST2 (again e:\EXP-VM\test2008)

I always got this error:

Failed to import the virtual machine from import directory 'E:\exp-vm\test2008
    Details
    Error:The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003)

If I import the VM in the HOST1 (from its original export folder) it works.

Suggestions ?

Matteo (MCP)
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I had the symptoms and I noticed that the copy command wasn’t copying the EMPTY directories (some of the in the snapshot area). Once I include them the imported worked.

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I had the following error when attempting to import virtual machines originally exported from Host A to another Host B):

Import Failed. Unable to find virtual machine import files under location 'D:\Exported....' You can import a virtual machine only if you used Hyper-V to create and export it.

Perhaps the solution I have found is not appropriated or classy, however it fixed the issue and let me finish my tasks...

This is the file structure for the exporeted images, in my scenario:
    D:\Exported
    D:\Exported\Image1
    D:\Exported\Image1\Snapshots
    D:\Exported\Image1\Virtual Hard Disks
    D:\Exported\Image1\Virtual Machines

In the D:\Exported\Image1\Virtual Machines, contains an Export XML file, it should be something like : GUID.exp

This error was resolved by editing the Export XML file and replacing the server name HOST A(Hyper-V server where the images were originally exported) to HOST B (Hyper-V server where I am attempting to import the images).

The import error was gone.

I hope this helps!

Denise
    Denise Beadle Support Analyst 3 - (a-debead) SQL Server DataWarehousing Product Unit - Microsoft Aliso Viejo,CA
    Monday, May 18, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Hello Matteo,

This happens when you export images from one Host that is part of one domain and attempt to import to another host that is on different domain or not member of a domain at all.
    This does not happen when the images are originally exported from a standalone Hyper-V (not member of a domain).

In order to import these images you will need to modify the EXP file for each image exported prior importing to the new server:

Example: When exporting the images, it creates the following structure:

\Snapshots
    \Virtual Hard Disks
    \Virtual Machines
    \config.xml
    Expand the Virtual Machines folder and locate the EXP file, edit it:
    Select Edit/Find and type :ScopeofResidence", please note that we are looking for the first incident, top to botton of the EXP file.
    It is something like this:
    _PROPERTY NAME="ScopeOfResidence" TYPE="string"><VALUE>A3C10A23-C7EA-4612-A356-3089B248EFC7\84EAAE65-2F2E-45F5-9BB5-0E857DC8EB47</VALUE>_
    Delete the values in between _<VALUE> and _</VALUE>, like this "
    _PROPERTY NAME="ScopeOfResidence" TYPE="string"><VALUE></VALUE>_
    Save the file.

If you made a copy of the EXP file, please do not leave it in the same folder, and attemp to import again.

Cheers!
    Denise Beadle
    a-debead@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:03 PM
  • It looks like Hyper-V mess up locations of VHDs. In my  config.xml I found absolutely bizarre paths to my vhd. Once I inserted the correct ones. The imported started fine.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:54 PM