none
Internet Explorer 10

Question

• Since it's already shown up on windows updates, does anyone have a date when we can expect Internet Explorer 10 to appear on WSUS ?
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:49 PM

Answers

• Since it's already shown up on windows updates, does anyone have a date when we can expect Internet Explorer 10 to appear on WSUS ?

Hmm... IE 10 is aviliable via Microsoft Update Catalog and this is Update Rollups, so check that Update Rollups classification is checked on yor WSUS or you can import IE10 by clicking import in your WSUS console.

IE10 is not yet available via WSUS synchronization, but as noted, it can be imported from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Per a post by Doug Neal on the PatchManagement.org mailing list on Tuesday.... a new practice of delaying "[potentially] disruptive updates (such as a major Internet Explorer update or a Windows service pack) are delayed ~30 days after the release via AU, WU/MU, and MU Catalog" has been implemented.

The rationale for this is that errant updates in the AU/WU/MU structure can be rapidly pulled if there are issues and essentially halt any further complications; but when an update is released for WSUS synchronization, it's now in the hands of WSUS administrators, and there's no absolute mechanism for terminating the use of the update.

Consider this a Quality Assurance program where non-managed clients are now the beta testers for update packages. <G, D & R>.

With that information, and the few (if any) reported issues with deployment of IE10 via WSUS (for those that did import from the catalog), I would venture a guess that we could be seeing IE10 in WSUS any day now. (I would have guessed in the 4th Tuesday updates .. but that was 48 hours ago.)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:23 PM

All replies

I was wondering this myself... they're so inconsistent on release to the WSUS catalog (sometimes immediate, sometimes months down the road to never.)  :(
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Hello,

Not that it will solve your WSUS 'issue', but if you are in a hurry deploying IE10, this might help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/jj643259.aspx

//

Best Regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:03 AM
    Hmm... IE 10 is aviliable via Microsoft Update Catalog and this is Update Rollups, so check that Update Rollups classification is checked on yor WSUS or you can import IE10 by clicking import in your WSUS console.

Maxim Sinel'nikov

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:43 AM

IE10 is not yet available via WSUS synchronization, but as noted, it can be imported from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Per a post by Doug Neal on the PatchManagement.org mailing list on Tuesday.... a new practice of delaying "[potentially] disruptive updates (such as a major Internet Explorer update or a Windows service pack) are delayed ~30 days after the release via AU, WU/MU, and MU Catalog" has been implemented.

The rationale for this is that errant updates in the AU/WU/MU structure can be rapidly pulled if there are issues and essentially halt any further complications; but when an update is released for WSUS synchronization, it's now in the hands of WSUS administrators, and there's no absolute mechanism for terminating the use of the update.

Consider this a Quality Assurance program where non-managed clients are now the beta testers for update packages. <G, D & R>.

With that information, and the few (if any) reported issues with deployment of IE10 via WSUS (for those that did import from the catalog), I would venture a guess that we could be seeing IE10 in WSUS any day now. (I would have guessed in the 4th Tuesday updates .. but that was 48 hours ago.)

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Yes, that's the answer we need.  We're using SCCM2012, so we plan to block it by setting a custom severity on the IE10.  Thank-you

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Has anyone seen Internet Explorer 10 in their WSUS updates yet ?  I had been expecting it to appear, but nothing yet.  Not a big deal, we're not itching for it.

Thanks

Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Has anyone seen Internet Explorer 10 in their WSUS updates yet ?

No, but we do have an inquiry open with the IE10 team as to what the status of this package actually is. As noted by the history of this thread, it was expected sometime in April, 2013.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Any news on this? Kind of wierd that its not in WSUS yet. Been a long time now

//Lasse

shaggys

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Any news on this? Kind of wierd that its not in WSUS yet. Been a long time now

Given the notable number of issues being encountered with IE10, to wit:

• A number of persons who chose to import IE10 into WSUS have had issues deploying it.
    • A number of persons who have deployed IE10/Win7 have had issues using it.

My guess would be that either one of those are sufficient enough to defer a scenario in which IE10 gets mass-deployed to the enterprise as an unattended installation, which would be a very good reason for why we haven't seen the package published to the WSUS catalog yet.

But the first one would be the most telling.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:06 PM