none
GPO to set different things regarding Desktop in Windows 7

Question

• Hi,
    I have searched everywhere but I don't know how to set this.

What are the registry keys I need to change to set :
    1) Check : Small icons on desktop in Right Click Desktop / View
    2) Check : Computer + User's Files + Network in Personalize / Change Desktop Icons / Display
    3) Check : Any number in "Number of recent programs to display" and "Number of recent items to display in Jump Lists" in Start Menu / Customize
    4) Check : Automatically expand to current folder in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / Generalize
    5) Uncheck : Hide extensions for known file types (an eretic option according to me) in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / View
    5) Uncheck : Hide protect operating system files (Recommended) in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / View

I'll find other settings but if we could start by this, it would be good

Thanks
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:28 AM

Answers

• Understood. For what its worth, this is the registry key for item number 4 on your list: 

Path: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced 
    Name: NavPaneExpandToCurrentFolder (REG_DWORD) 
    Value: 1

Thanks,
    Guy
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
     Have you looked at group policy preferences? I know that several of these settings are available in the Folder Options and Start Menu preferences. It won't address all of your items, but it should provide control over number of recent programs to display and items 5 and 6. You can also use preferences to add shortcuts to the desktop to address items number 2.

Thanks,
    Guy
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi,
    Yes, in Group Policy Preferences, these settings are missing.
    I have found the Number of recent programs (I shouldn't have talked about it here) but not the other one.
    Adding shortcut doesn't seem clean enough to me... I don't understand why I couldn't set these options via a GPO or... by changing a registry setting (I have been able to locate it in Windows XP but not in Windows 7)

Thanks
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Understood. For what its worth, this is the registry key for item number 4 on your list: 

Thanks,
    Guy
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Thanks a lot for this... It's a good start
    What I really never understood is why Microsoft has a policy to remove My computer icon from the desktop and never made a policy to display this icon on the desktop....
    I don't see the interest in not displaying this by default.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks to Guy, I have found this :
    2) Check : Computer + User's Files + Network in Personalize / Change Desktop Icons / Display
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} --> Computer / 0 = show / 1 = hide
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee} --> User's files
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} --> Recycle Bin 
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0} --> Network

3) Check : Any number in "Number of recent programs to display" and "Number of recent items to display in Jump Lists" in Start Menu / Customize
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_MinMFU (Recent Programs to display - REG_DWORD set to 25 in my case)
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_JumpListItems (Jump Lists - REG_DWORD set to 25 in my case)

4) Check : Automatically expand to current folder in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / Generalize
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\NavPaneExpandToCurrentFolder

5) Uncheck : Hide extensions for known file types (an eretic option according to me) in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / View
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\HideFileExt (REG_DWORD set to 0)

6) Uncheck : Hide protect operating system files (Recommended) in Explorer / Organize / Folder and search options / View
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\SuperHidden (REG_DWORD set to 0)
    --> Set by HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Hidden (REG_DWORD set to 1)

1) is really bizarre to find.
    According to my Procmon experience, this is set by a reg key in
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{CEBFF5CD-ACE2-4F4F-9178-9926F41749EA}\Count\P:\Fbsgf\Flfvagreanyf\Cebpzba.rkr
    Quite weird.
    Don't you know another regkey to set this ?

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by sshoaib Monday, February 21, 2011 4:09 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:32 PM
  • But is there no Group Policy setting for "Automatically expand to current folder in Explorer"?

I'd prefer to do this globally for all users in my domain via Group Policy.

thanks,

Joe

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi Joe,

You can control any registry key centrally by using group policy preferences.

Thanks,

Guy

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:30 AM
  •  You can control any registry key centrally by using group policy preferences.

Even HKCU?

I'm probably quite ignorant on this, but wouldn't that require the user to have permissions to modify the registry?

Thank you.

edit:  Apparently I AM misunderstanding things: I failed to notice that my problems with user-based registry modifications pertained to HKCR, not HKCU.  My bad.  I was able to successfully-utilize two Registry Updates via GPO User Preferences...

Folder Options -> Navigation Pane -> Show all folders (ON)

Name: NavPaneShowAllFolders (REG_DWORD)

Folder Options -> Navigation Pane ->Automatically expand to current folder (ON)

NOTE: Server 2008 R2 does NOT have these DWORDs in it - so I selected ANY OTHER DWORD in that Path during the Registry Item wizard in GPO's User Preferences, THEN modify it after the fact with the correct Name and it worked perfectly.

It is quite puzzling that registry edits are required for such a small percentage of Windows Explorer Folder Options when so many others are available in default GPO policies.  For as much of a relief and positive step forward Windows 7 has been there's been a smacking of queer decisions regarding managing Win7 deployments and administration, but this is fortunately resolvable in Group Policy Management Editor without jumping through some sort of horrid sysprep hoops.  Thanks Guy & Tof06 - this input has been a small relief in a hectic week!

• Edited by RLRPC Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:22 AM supplementary information
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:03 AM