none
Do Roaming User Profiles have to be downloaded to workstation?

Question

• Hi...

Is it possible to create a policy that will migrate a student’s profile to a network share and it not be downloaded to the local computer each time they log in? 

The problem I'm running into is that I have users with pretty big profiles. Workstation hard drive space is being eaten up with all the profiles and I'm running out of room. Deleting the profiles on the local workstation only goes so far because once the user logs back into the workstation the profiles download again. I'm trying to avoid having to upgrade 60 workstations with bigger hard drives. 

Thanks... Frank

Monday, May 06, 2013 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hello ThePrep,
    I suggest to read this TechNet Forums thread Roaming profiles vs Folder redirection and offline files?:

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Monday, May 06, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi, yes, they do have to be downloaded.

I strongly suggest to redirect my document and other folder like that to a central's share. So the roaming profile usually just hold the appdata's & temp file after.

I recomment GPO to empty temporary internet files.

So you can keep the profile as low as possible easilly.

Please set that option at on too; Delete cached copies of roaming profiles. So the profile store will be as low as possible.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:38 AM
  • well, if you don't download and then upload the profile, it isn't really a roaming profile any more....

but yes, there are GPO settings which you can use to prevent roaming profiles from downloading to a machine, and, also settings to prevent profiles from uploading from a machine to the server.

these two settings basically suppress a user who is configured for a roaming profile. you might use such a policy setting solution, and link it to specific machines that you don't want roaming to occur at.

this will then mean that a person who expects a roaming experience, will instead get  default profile experience, but only at that machine where the policy applies.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hello ThePrep,
    I suggest to read this TechNet Forums thread Roaming profiles vs Folder redirection and offline files?:

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Monday, May 06, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi, yes, they do have to be downloaded.

I strongly suggest to redirect my document and other folder like that to a central's share. So the roaming profile usually just hold the appdata's & temp file after.

I recomment GPO to empty temporary internet files.

So you can keep the profile as low as possible easilly.

Please set that option at on too; Delete cached copies of roaming profiles. So the profile store will be as low as possible.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:38 AM
  • well, if you don't download and then upload the profile, it isn't really a roaming profile any more....

but yes, there are GPO settings which you can use to prevent roaming profiles from downloading to a machine, and, also settings to prevent profiles from uploading from a machine to the server.

these two settings basically suppress a user who is configured for a roaming profile. you might use such a policy setting solution, and link it to specific machines that you don't want roaming to occur at.

this will then mean that a person who expects a roaming experience, will instead get  default profile experience, but only at that machine where the policy applies.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:35 AM