none
Windows 2012 Core to gui

Question

• Hi all... I am running Windows Server 2012 Core Standard edition, and I want to get the GUI installed.  It keeps failing on every command I attempt to run :(.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim

Index       : 1
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Size        : 7,178,226,690 bytes

Index       : 2
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 SERVERSTANDARD
    Description : Windows Server 2012 SERVERSTANDARD
    Size        : 11,999,889,351 bytes

Index       : 3
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Size        : 7,172,264,095 bytes

Index       : 4
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 SERVERDATACENTER
    Description : Windows Server 2012 SERVERDATACENTER
    Size        : 11,995,265,169 bytes

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> install-windowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -restart
    install-windowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
    information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Error: 0x800f0906
    At line:1 char:1
    + install-windowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell -restart
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsF
       eatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Import-Module Dism
    PS C:\Users\Administrator> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -Featurename ServerCore-FullServer
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
    information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
    + Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -Featurename ServerCore-FullServer
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

PS C:\Users\Administrator>  ,Server-Gui-Shell,Server-Gui-Mgmt

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:29 PM

Answers

• Didn't work Don & Chris:

PS C:\> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly Install-WindowsFeature
     Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\windows\winsxs
    Mount-WindowsImage : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Install-WindowsFeature'.

It looks like you've combined the two instructions into a single commandline, which caused this failure

Try it this way:

PS C:\> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly

PS C:\> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\windows\winsxs

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by tradingadmin Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:59 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Check your media then, it must be corrupted.  I used the command just last night on a fresh install of Server Core without issue.

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:1

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hello,

It appears that the installer is trying to download from the Internet. Make sure that the computer has Internet access and that DNS can rsolve. Alternatively, use the /LimitAccess switch to prevent the installation from downloading the files from the Internet.

See this post:

http://www.falconitservices.com/support/KB/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=101

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:06 PM
  • BTW Don that did not work:

I did forget to mention that you need to create the folder c:\mountdir
    before you try the Mount-WindowsImage...

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Try setting up a DISM. I have done this numerous times and I know it works for sure.

• Marked as answer by tradingadmin Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:23 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:59 PM
  • try this on powershell,

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell  -Restart -Source C:\mountdir\windows\winsxs

I tried that command for 15 servers and its work both physical and Virtualize server.

Thanks,

Erwin

• Edited by Erwin Gaspar Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• So basically what the message is saying is that it needs source.  When you install right from the disc Server Core all the GUI components are missing so you need the source files to go to GUI.  If you started off with GUI and then went to core and decided you wanted to go back to GUI again your commands would work without specifying the source for the files.

Once you determine the index of your install.wim for Server with a GUI (doesn't have CORE after its name, in your example index 2 or 4) then you can run the command below:

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source wim:D:\sources\install.wim:2

Just customize the Source to the path and the ":2" at the end for the index number.  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574205.aspx#BKMK_1_6

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Sorry for the late respone, but let me give it a shot now. I'll respond back shortly with the outcome.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hello,

It appears that the installer is trying to download from the Internet. Make sure that the computer has Internet access and that DNS can rsolve. Alternatively, use the /LimitAccess switch to prevent the installation from downloading the files from the Internet.

See this post:

http://www.falconitservices.com/support/KB/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=101

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:06 PM
  • No luck :(:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source wim:D:\source
    s\install.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Error: 0x800f0906
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source  ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsF
       eatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Try what Miguel Fra said.....foolish me for forgetting to place /limitaccess in the sample code i gave you TradingAdmin.  My mistake.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:02 PM
  • The server has access to the internet and i was able to ping www.yahoo.com:

No luck with the limitaccess command:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\me> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell /LimitAccess –Restart -Source wim:d:
    \sources\install.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/LimitAccess'.
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell /LimitAccess –Rest ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-WindowsFeature], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCo
       mmand

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:24 PM
  • /limitaccess should be the last switch on that command, after source.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:31 PM
  • No luck :(

PS C:\Users> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source /LimitAccess  wim:d
    :\sources\install.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'wim:d:\sources\install.wim:2'.
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source / ...
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-WindowsFeature], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCo
       mmand

PS C:\Users

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:06 PM
  • No luck :(

PS C:\Users> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source /LimitAccess  wim:d
    :\sources\install.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'wim:d:\sources\install.wim:2'.
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source / ...
       mmand

PS C:\Users

Syntax is incorrect. After the -Source switch, it's expecting the source location and instead it's getting the /limite access. Try this:

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell /LimitAccess –Restart -Source wim:d:\sources\install.wim:2

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:45 PM
  • No luck... I have to be doing something wrong! Sorry guys and thanks for helping me out!

PS D:\> dir

Directory: D:\

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name
    ----                -------------     ------ ----
    d-r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM            boot
    d-r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM            efi
    d-r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM            sources
    d-r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM            support
    --r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM        128 autorun.inf
    --r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM     398156 bootmgr
    --r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM    1350896 bootmgr.efi
    --r--         7/26/2012   2:16 AM      78792 setup.exe

PS D:\> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell /LimitAccess –Restart -Source wim:d:\sources\insta
    ll.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/LimitAccess'.
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell /LimitAccess –Rest ...
       mmand

PS D:\>

Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Your forgetting the ":" after -Source and /limitaccess at the end.  Try like below and copy/paste if you have to.

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:wim:d:\sources\insta
    ll.wim:2 /LimitAccess

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:05 PM
  • No luck... I copied and pasted your suggestions. Any other ideas?

PS D:\sources> c:
    PS C:\> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:2 /Lim
    itAccess
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:w ...
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-WindowsFeature], ParameterBindingException
       mmand

PS C:\>

Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:28 AM
  • I am going to blame Miguel Fra but realistically its my fault for not realizing his suggestion of /limitaccess is not valid.....thats a dism switch and nothing to do with powershell (how your running it).  Durr.  Try it again exactly how you have it above but remove /limitaccess.

I'm going to now go cry in a corner.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:05 AM
  • another way might be this:

Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly
    Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\windows\winsxs

Don

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:12 AM

PS C:\> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly Install-WindowsFeature
     Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\windows\winsxs
    Mount-WindowsImage : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Install-WindowsFeature'.
    + Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2  ...
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Mount-WindowsImage], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Dism.Commands.MountWindowsImageCommand

______

PS C:\> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:2
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:w ...
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
       eatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Check your media then, it must be corrupted.  I used the command just last night on a fresh install of Server Core without issue.

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart -Source:wim:d:\sources\install.wim:1

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:26 PM

It looks like you've combined the two instructions into a single commandline, which caused this failure

Try it this way:

PS C:\> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly

PS C:\> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\windows\winsxs

Don

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Chris! I'll give it a shot on Tuesday since i'm not in the office until Tuesday. BTW Don that did not work:

PS C:\Users\me> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2 -readonly
    Mount-WindowsImage : The user attempted to mount to a directory that is not empty.  This is not supported.
    + Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath d:\sources\install.wim -Path C:\mountdir –Index 2  ...
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Mount-WindowsImage], COMException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.MountWindowsImageCommand

PS C:\Users\me> Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source c:\mountdir\window
    s\winsxs
    + Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell –Restart –Source  ...
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
       eatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

PS C:\Users\me>

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:28 PM
  • I am going to blame Miguel Fra but realistically its my fault for not realizing his suggestion of /limitaccess is not valid.....thats a dism switch and nothing to do with powershell (how your running it).  Durr.  Try it again exactly how you have it above but remove /limitaccess.

I'm going to now go cry in a corner.

().()

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:24 PM
  • BTW Don that did not work:

I did forget to mention that you need to create the folder c:\mountdir
    before you try the Mount-WindowsImage...

Don

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Try setting up a DISM. I have done this numerous times and I know it works for sure.

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:59 PM
  • try this on powershell,

Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell  -Restart -Source C:\mountdir\windows\winsxs

I tried that command for 15 servers and its work both physical and Virtualize server.

Thanks,

Erwin

• Edited by Erwin Gaspar Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:12 AM
  •   I guess the moral of all this is "If you want to be able to switch between GUI version  and core, install the GUI version first"!

Bill

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:45 AM
  • So I decided to rebuild the box as "Core" and retry the cmds with a new media dvd.... and it worked! Thanks all for your help!!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:58 PM