none
Problems joining Windows 7 to my Domain when I have two Active directory Servers in the same lan

General discussion

• I have two Active directory Servers 2008 in same LAN.  When I tried to join a Windows 7 workstation it gives me errors.  As soon as I turn off one of the servers, I can join window 7 with no problems. It looks like windows 7 gets confused.  Do I have to setup the servers differentLY?  Please help.

Thanks.

Lobow

• Changed type Tiger Li Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:57 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:07 PM

All replies

• do you have two seperate dowmains?.normally you have to configure clients primary dns server as one of your domain controller

Darshana Jayathilake

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Monday, March 19, 2012 7:55 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:27 AM
  • To diagnose this, we will need to see configuration data and event log errors. Please post the following to better assist:

1. Unedited ipconfig /all of both of your DCs.
    2. Unedited ipconfig /all of the Windows 7 workstation.
    3. Unedited ipconfig /all of a Windows workstation that this is not happening on.
    4. Event log errors. Use the copy feature to paste the event in your reply.

Thank you,
    Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi Lobow,

Thanks for posting here.

> When I tried to join a Windows 7 workstation it gives me errors. 

Could also show us the error message here and make sure this client is pointing and using the DNS server that holding the domain name that we are going to make it join into.

Troubleshooting Domain Join Error Messages
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/activedirectoryua/archive/2010/12/14/troubleshooting-domain-join-error-messages.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:59 AM