none
Uninstall and Reinstall Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP

Question

• Hello... I screwed up and need help to fix the situation...

Problem:

Windows XP is installed on top of 2000 PRO in the same partition.  I want to keep XP but I don't know how to uninstall 2000 PRO.  I tried to uninstall both but no programs are showing up in Add or Remove Programs list in either 2000 PRO or XP.  I am able to choose which operating system to use but programs are not showing up.  They are still there just not visible with either installation.

Reason:

I did this because I was having wireless router problems and in a moment of frustration, I  upgraded to XP without thinking it through.  The original problem was being connected to my wireless router but not receiving any packets even though packets were being sent.  Anyways, upgrading to XP did not resolve this problem.  I am still unable to connect my laptop to my wireless connection.

Computer Specs:

Fujitsu Corp Lifebook

Mobile Intel Premium

4 - M CPU 2.20 GHz

AT/AT COMPATIBLE

1,014,764 KB RAM

System:

Microsoft Windows 2000

Service Pack 4

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this. 

Please ask if more information is needed!

~Tracy

Saturday, September 03, 2011 3:50 AM

Answers

• I recommend to save all your data and reinstall Windows XP with service pack 3. Older versions of operating system are NOT supported. Service pack 3 has some new features for WiFi, that no previous version had.

If you have not installation CD with SP3, you can create one from older CD by process, the name of which is "slipstreamin" (You can goolgle it ...)

This question has bee placed wrongly. Next time, do not use the Server forum and go directly to the Windows XP forum.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

If you have Windows XP installed on top of Windows 2000 Professional, there should be a dual boot system for both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP. If you want to remove Windows 2000 Professional, you can perform the following steps:

1. Boot into Windows XP

2. Type msconfig in Run, press enter key to launch System Configuration window

3. Proceed to Boot tab, you will find both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP list there

4. Set Windows XP as default if it’s not

5. Remove Windows 2000 Professional from the list

6. Remove the folder for Windows 2000 Professional(Please be careful with this step to prevent deleting the folders of Windows XP)

By the way, as Milos mentioned, it is recommend that you backup your important data and the perform a fresh Windows XP installation.

In addition, it you want to perform the further research about Windows XP, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Windows XP newsgroup

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:44 AM

All replies

• I recommend to save all your data and reinstall Windows XP with service pack 3. Older versions of operating system are NOT supported. Service pack 3 has some new features for WiFi, that no previous version had.

If you have not installation CD with SP3, you can create one from older CD by process, the name of which is "slipstreamin" (You can goolgle it ...)

This question has bee placed wrongly. Next time, do not use the Server forum and go directly to the Windows XP forum.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

If you have Windows XP installed on top of Windows 2000 Professional, there should be a dual boot system for both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP. If you want to remove Windows 2000 Professional, you can perform the following steps:

1. Boot into Windows XP

2. Type msconfig in Run, press enter key to launch System Configuration window

3. Proceed to Boot tab, you will find both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP list there

4. Set Windows XP as default if it’s not

5. Remove Windows 2000 Professional from the list

6. Remove the folder for Windows 2000 Professional(Please be careful with this step to prevent deleting the folders of Windows XP)

By the way, as Milos mentioned, it is recommend that you backup your important data and the perform a fresh Windows XP installation.

In addition, it you want to perform the further research about Windows XP, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Windows XP newsgroup

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:44 AM